Packing Up

Rochdale Travel Blog

Have been driving around like a fool for the past 3 days trying to collect everything and move all my stuff back from Sheffield.

Despite the length of the impending trip, I'm really not that nervous. It's weird because I thought I would be, but it's just not happened yet. The overriding memories of the last, hectic week will be the drunken hilarity of the fancy dress leaving do, the amount of cash I've splashed around to make sure I've got everything and all the goodbyes I've said. The goodbye thing has been the most difficult part so far - but it still doesn't seem real; I don't think any of this will until the plane takes off from Heathrow tomorrow.

I've sold my little Ford KA for 500 pounds yesterday. Let's face it, it was no Ferrari, but I was quite attached to it nonetheless - it served me pretty well for three and a half years. A 20 year old girl bought it as her first car, she seemed very excited by the prospect of having her own motor. So I guess we both get what we want now - freedom comes in a lot of different guises.

So, in less than 24 hours I'll be off like that piece of beef that Andy left on the side in the kitchen for 4 days. Anyway, must go, the packing is waiting, I've got rucksacks to fill. The next time I write it'll be from somewhere a little more exotic than Rochdale...

eirien says:
i really hate good byes as well ... when i am leaving and meet ppl for the last time I always say that i am sure we will see each other again before i leave so i don't have the whole hugging good bye ceremony ;)
Posted on: Feb 17, 2008
jhob says:
I remember that feeling of it not seeming real till you were at the airport well! I think it really sank in for us when we were actually in the air on that first flight. My father driving us to the airport was also quite strange as I knew this would be that last time that I'd see my own country for the foreseeable future. It was also snowing which only added to the surreality (probably not a proper word, but I'm feeling like living life on the edge today) of the whole experience.

Bon voyage!