Copacabana Travel Blog

Before arriving in Copacabana, ensure that you have some money, of any denomination. There is no cash machine here. Andy and I had only an emergency 20 dollars, having run down our Peruvian Soles so as not to suffer at the hands of the money changers.  I do have a credit card but there are only two places in town to get a cash advance from it. Yesterday, Sunday, my quest for moolah was foiled by the very brief (less than two hours) long opening hours of the local money pits. I would have made it during this time but for urgent and unignorable demands for liberation by the chicken I´d eaten in Puno the previous day. So instead of cash, there was only a splash.

Today is Monday which is, let me clarify, the first day of the working week for most and not an official Bolivian bank holiday. However, both cash advance places are closed all day. Splendid. Andy and I are going to have to beg, scrape and borrow for another 24 hours. We are also going nowhere until a strike which seems to be over bus insurance (don´t ask) is lifted and the blockades on the road to La Paz are dismantled. Having said all of this, there are worse places to be stuck in than Copacabana - it´s a little touristy town tucked between hills on the shoreline of the enormous Lake Titicaca. There´s not much to do but wander around, hire a pedalo or visit the fabled Isla del Sol, the supposed birthplace of the Incas, which I imagine we´ll do tomorrow if the cash dealers can be arsed to raise their shutters and do their job.

Already, within a day, Bolivia seems to be a different (i.e. more bloody awkward) animal to both Peru and Ecuador. The food however is the same; stodge, starch and carbs remain inescapable. The search for green vegetables starts here.

photo by: aliciaaa