AsiaIndiaPalolem

NYE in Goa, getting ready for Hampi

Palolem Travel Blog

The crew preparing for a NYE - Melinda, Erin, Simon, Jen, and Me.

On the 19 hour train ride to Goa I meet Emma, the beautiful English girl heading to Goa for NYE.  A musician, traveler, and free spirit, we talk for hours.  I’m learning contentment, learning to have faith in myself and the universe.  Like the symphony of “OMs” at the Sivananda Ashram, I’m learning that we each play a voice in the universal chorus ~ some magnificently, some soft, some silently.  But each colors it and contributes to the ubiquitous chorus of life ~imperceptible but essentially, for nothing is the same without it.

I awoke at 5:00 a.m. on the train to find my new Blackberry phone missing, stolen.  Sometime in the few hours I slept, someone went under my blanket, into my pocket, and absconded with it.  I searched for it everywhere.

But too blissed out still, I simply pass it off as a possession, and realized it didn’t make or break my happiness.

12/30

Back to Goa to Sevas. There I met up with Melinda, Simon, and Erin.  I reconnect to  Simon and Erin like old friends.  Melinda and I saw each other and it was so great to be with her.  Jen followed the next day.  Like that we were a group of 5.  As always Palolem was filled with tourists soaking sun and partying.  I drank a bit, but alcohol is falling off the Indian experience �" it’s a welcomed departure.

New years, we spent at Rendezvous.

Unfortunately, 3 of the 6 the group had bad stomachs.  The wait staff was trashed, which resulted in a 4 hour dinner.  We finished at midnight as fireworks went off in random fashion filling the sky with an arbitrary but beautiful firework show.  After dropping off the ones that felt ill, Melinda, Simon and I headed back out.  We found a little place to sip hookah, and watch the drunken partiers fall over themselves.  Indians fought along the beach, and we got lost in conversation.

1/3/08

We tried to make it Anjuna for the Wednesday Market.  Traffic was unbelievable, and our 2 hour journey turned into a 5 ½ hour taxi odyssey.  We spent 1 ½ days in Anjuna.

Over a game of pool, Jen and I met Sara and Jake a young couple just graduating from Vassar.  On Sara’s recommendation, I took a yoga class with Santosh at Neo Yoga.  Santosh was an amazing teacher.  Only 25 years-old, he practiced for 5 ½ years in Varanasi.  He was humble and wise beyond his years.  Though we set out for an Ashtanga practice, we spent 2 hours on the standing series alone.  His encouragement and guidance and levity made for a wonderful practice.  After we got to talking, and we left 2 hours later.  We discussed meditation, reiki, diet.  Over dinner two evenings before, Melinda’s friend Hal recommended Krishanmurti.  Now Santosh was discussing it again.  It seemed like too much of a coincidence, so Jen and I bought 3 books on the way to meet Melinda for dinner.

12/30

Back to Goa to Sevas. There I met up with Melinda, Simon, and Erin.  I reconnect to  Simon and Erin like old friends.  Melinda and I saw each other and it was so great to be with her.  Jen followed the next day.  Like that we were a group of 5.  As always Palolem was filled with tourists soaking sun and partying.  I drank a bit, but alcohol is falling off the Indian experience – it’s a welcomed departure.

New years, we spent at Rendezvous.

1/3/08

The crew preparing for a NYE - Mel…
The crew preparing for a NYE - Me…
Emma from the train- Almost to Goa
Emma from the train- Almost to Goa
Me on the train - getting closer
Me on the train - getting closer
Melinda, setting off fireworks on …
Melinda, setting off fireworks on…
All of us looking our best!
All of us looking our best!
The gang at Sevas