to the green river
It reminds us to the famous Grand Canyon in Colorado, USA where it may have gotten it's name from. But this canyon is absolutely different, with a huge magnificent water tunnel, it’s beautiful emerald green river and natural soil bridge on top. The beauty of Green Canyon would be a perfect getaway from your busy life in Jakarta.
Green Canyon is about 30 kilometers west of Pangandaran Beach, in the Cijulang district of Ciamis, West Java. The long and tiring 7 hours ride from Jakarta will be a bit boring to you.
But as we enter the location where coconut trees stands and the beach wind breezes to your skin, you'll forget all the boring journey. Nature's call will give you a different feeling especially for those who stay inside an air conditioned room everyday.
The original name of Green Canyon is Cukang Taneuh, which means 'soil bridge' in Sundanese. The upper part of the water tunnel is formed by a 40 meters wide soil bridge which links Batukaras and Kertayasa village. This tourist object was first opened and developed in 1991 after being abandoned for such a long time as an effect of the strong community's belief that the location is a mystic place to worship.
To reach Green Canyon, the one and only choice is taking a boat from a small harbor in Ciseureuh, Batukaras. They have more than 100 boats that will take you through the emerald green river and back. Each boat costs IDR 50.000, and has a maximum capacity of 6 people for the sake of a safety journey.
Your eyes will be startled by the beautiful green trees with strands of roots, and the wonderful walls of limestone with small waterfalls. If you're lucky enough, you'll meet giant lizards or even snakes on the way to the canyon. After 15 minutes ride, the river will narrow down and you'll have to walk carefully through the stones and waterfalls. Want a deeper sight of the canyon? Go down and take a dip! No need to worry, even if you couldn't swim, each boat is equipped with some life jackets. So grab one and dive in! Now…the real adventure begins! Not very much of fish and water animals could be found inside the clear river, but the nice wall of limestone beneath the water could make wonderful underwater pictures.
After a swim, walk along the slippery stones to reach where the river starts. Be careful to walk across the river's current, sometimes you'll have to jump, climb or crawl the walls full of concentration. But don't worry, all of these are worth the trip because you will see so many small cave creatures crawling on wet stones, pretty stalagmites and drops of water from stalactites along the way. Such a wonderful place to spend the weekend!
- The perfect time to visit Green Canyon is the sunny season, where you can find emerald green water through the river.
- On rainy season, the river usually floods with brown and dirty colored water mixed with mud.
- Always prepare with bathing swim wear and snorkeling equipments.
- Bring a pair of dry clothes to change after the wild adventure in the canyon.
- If you have enough time, don't forget to spend a morning for the exotic sunrise at the beach.
- A dip at the beach would be another choice. But be careful! Like any other beaches of the southern ocean of Java, Batukaras also has huge waves.
- The fisherman's village with colorful wooden boats parked near the beach would be a beautiful photographic subject.