Leaving China

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Today I left Yangshuo for Hong Kong via Guilin (city and airport).  I'll miss the cheap eating ... up to two big beers and three ice creams per day:

1. A 600 ml beer is CNY5 (about EUR0.50) for locals and 2-3 times the price for tourists.  There's now a good choice apart from the famous Tsingtao ... there's one called Li Quan (or just Li Q) ... its nice without any bitter after-taste or too much head (I've been told I haven't got much taste in beer).

2. While I love my red-bean ice creams, I've tried other varieties ... theres mung-bean and tea one which is nice too.  Magnums are CNY5 here which is about the third of the price in New Zealand but are bit smaller ... they are pricey by local standards as many varieties are only CNY2.

China is modernising very quickly but scratch the surface, it is still very traditional ... in my hotel the bar is very funky and serve cocktails with names like C*cksucking Cowboy and Sexy Thailand Girl ... they have pretty young waitresses but it is still the old grandma that collects the cash!

Remind me not to be stingy with bikes next time ... I got mine for CNY10 (EUR1) per day ... it had a very hard seat (ouch!) ... prices go up to CNY30 and CNY40 per day.  I don't know the technical differences apart from some Shimano gears ... but I did notice the seats are softer :-)