Cassis and the Coastal Route

Cassis Travel Blog

On our way through the south, we took a pause in Cassis - a gem on the Mediterranean coast.  The marina, beach and surrounding cliffs are simply breathtaking between the blue-green water, colorful buildings and vast array of sailboats.  It is a great place to relax, enjoy some ice cream and take a stroll through the charming village with its many terraces and green spaces.  Cassis is one of the entries to the calanques - a hiking trail along the cliffs and sea.  During our visit, the high winds forced the closure of the calanques, so we opted for a drive along the route des cretes (coastal route).  As an American, I enjoy a nice guard rail when I’m driving along a cliff.  The French prefer to go without.  People tell me it is easier to be the driver in this situation, and I did not enjoy the feeling of not being in control.  I know we were going slow, but the road is very steep and curvy.  The good part was there are many very safe areas to pull off the road, and once I caught my breath from the thrill ride that was our car, I was immediately taken by the beauty in all directions.  Water, cliffs, wildflowers, clouds, lavender, rocks, the village all somehow assembled perfectly.  The view was worth the gray hair incurred getting there.
Cassis