Vikings ahoy!

Copenhagen Travel Blog

A windmill

Wonderful roads and the drivers all seem to keep to the speed limits and show courtesy.  Well, in the first 60 kms it happens and we were probably moving with a lot of other tourists too.  Found a service station with a cafeteria and we were able to swap our empty gas bottle for a full one.  Packed it safely away in the back of the van and moved off in the car park to get out onto the filter road to expressway.  A car tooted at me from behind, so I stopped and both Andrew and I got out to see what was wrong.  The car then roared around me to my left and a 30 ish tall guy started yelling at Andrew in Danish.  We ssid we didn't understand and he switched to English using the foulest of words and told Andrew to "just drive the f#@*'$" car".  I told him that Andrew was not the driver and he swore at me and continued to rant at Andrew.

The Little Mermaid
  We were a little scared of his manner and he wouldn't hear anything from me so we got back into the car and drove off with him out in front.  About 500 yards later he was pulled over on the side of the road walking around his black car looking at his tyres and I noticed that he had a space-saver wheel on the RH front and we continued off onto the motorway much shaken and leaving him behind.

Later the only thing we deduced was that he saw Andrew with his head down in the map and looking all around for the exit road sitting in the LH front seat while the car was moving along and didn't work out that it was a RH drive van that we were in.  He certainly soured our day and we took his number plate down but what can you do?  Not too much further on we took the turn off to Roskilde to find the Viking Museum.

Andrew getting wet again
 The settlement existed since prehistoric times coming to prominence in 980 AD when Harold Bluetooth built Zealand's 1st Christian church.  Another church now stands on the same site and it was begun in 1170 AD and housed some 38 Danish Kings and Queens in its mausoleums.  We had come to see the Viking Museum and stopped at the Information Kiosk, stood outside and read the notice that obviously said that it was closed for the day.  A family of 4 came to read it too, the father heard us and asked if we were Australians.  They were too and were living in Denmark for about 8 months and came from the Eden NSW south coast area!

A couple of kilometers drive we reached the waterfront mouth of the fjord and a huge acreage devoted to a Museum, wooden sheds where the ancient crafts were being demonstrated with the authentic tools, replica Viking boats moored at the pier which are used for training and demonstrations.

At the Riskilde Viking Museum
  Inside the Museum there were 5 ships that had been recovered from underwater around the mouth of the fjord, carefully preserved dating from 1000 AD!   Explored and learned much from the info displays.  I told Andrew with both of our ancestors coming from the UK where the Vikings did their pillaging, plundering and raping, we probably had them in our ancestory somewhere.  It was a clean fresh place and we learned that it was a public holiday.

Near Copenhagen we found a caravan park that was the largest we had stayed in yet.  The tent section would have easily fitted 4 footballs feilds in and there were 3 tents including us.  Showers a dissappointment as they are push button ones that turn off every 10 secs, no temperature control and poor pressure.

Changing of the guard outside Fred & Mary's palace
  I make a wonderful creamy potato and bacon soup.

Next morning we drive about 1 km to the railway station and take the train 9 stops to Copenhagen.  Take a long walk to see the Little Mermaid looking at the wonderful cruise ships in the harbour.  Continue on to the Palace Square in time to watch the changing of the guard at mid day.  Our Mary from Australia is now the Princess to Crown Prince Frederick and she is recently the new mother of a baby boy.  We would have liked to have a cuppa with her but as it was also Fred's 38th birthday I expect she was a tad too busy!  The guards came out in the huge square in their blue dress uniforms with a white stripe and busbys with a peaked brim and did their changing stuff.

The Fjord and the Roskilde museum
  Our walking took us to the waterfront in the shopping district where we had a light lunch and found them very expensive.  The Tivoli Gardens were next and we were not quite sure what to expect.  Entry was â�¬10.50 each for general admission.  It is a permanent fun park set in beautiful gardens decked out with tulips and pansies paired in striking toned colours.  Rhodedendrons in full bloom, Japanese style gardens.  A Pirated ship restaurant, wild cat rides and those really awful 'scare you to death' rides, toffee apples, fairy floss.  Several large stages where performances happen daily.  At night there are fireworks and thousands of little lights, dancing fountains.  Ehausted we head for the rail station.  Standing consulting the map trying to decide which platform our train leaves from.  An English antique dealer in Viking pieces, offers assistance and we all get on the right train and have a great chat on the way back.  Have McDonalds for dinner and try the mini spinach and riccotta spring rolls.  Delicious!

At the Riskilde Viking Museum
Changing of the guard outside Fred…
Changing of the guard outside Fre…
Copenhagen