San Jose & Volacan Poas

San Jose Travel Blog

The drive up to Poas Volcano

We got up on Saturday to start the official Tour de Costa Rica.  I'm excited to see Mom use some of the Spanish she has been learning through work!  The day started with breakfast down at the restaurant.  Mango juice - I don't think I've ever had a glass of mango juice before.  It was good ... but very sweet!  The fresh fruit they had on the buffet was amazing.  Pineapple, watermelon, canteloupe, mango ... all VERY fresh!

We met the bus and the group at 8am to head into the city of San Jose then up to Poas Volcano.  We were told that you can only see into the volcano 1 day out of 7, so since we couldn't see into the volcano - we were only a little disappointed.

Poas
  We had lunch in a cloud forest (like a rain forest, but less rain, more humidity) then headed back into the city to visit a couple of museums and some of the monuments in town.

Volcan Poas was cool - literally, the temperature had dropped about 25 degrees from the city, and I was glad I had brought a sweatshirt with me.  Since it was very humid at the crater, there were clouds everywhere and we couldn't see into the crater, but it was a beautiful 1/2 mile walk up to the vista.

After lunch, we headed back into the heat of the city and went to the National Theatre, and the National Museum which is actually like an old castle/fort which is basically a tribute to the coloniztion of Costa Rica by the Spanish.  They had a beautiful butterfly garden in the museurm as well as some HUGE bamboo growing outside.

The hike up to the crater at Poas
  There was a little market right outside the museum which sold some great tourist goodies.  We picked up some wooden bowls and other items, but we held off on buying too much as we're supposed to be stopping at Serrachi later in the week and it's supposed to have the best prices and selection.  We basically started scoping out the souveniers - and kept some prices in mind, so if we see good prices later, we'll pick things up as we go.

We headed back to the hotel, had dinner and throughout the day, as Mom was taking pictures, she was running out of space on her media cards.  I took them out and relized she only had a 16MB and a 32MB card.  That's not good!  We talked to Eldon and asked where we could go to pick up a bigger memory card (like a 1GB or at least a 512MB).

Too cloudy today :(
  He arranged a taxi for us and we went into town.  Our taxi driver didn't speak any English and I only speak very broken Spanish, but apparently it was good enough to get us to the store.  Through context, I learned that downtown San Jose was not a very safe for American tourists, especially after dark.  He said there was a lot of drugs, prostitution and kidnappings of white Americans.  He insisted on going into the store with us, making sure we were safe, and taking us back to the hotel.  He was AWESOME.  My Mom kept asking what he was saying ... and I was doing an in-between translation for her and Bev ... but left out the stuff that she didn't need to know ;-)  So, a $15 cab ride, we tipped him an additional $15 for keeping us safe.
Downtown San Jose, CR
  Who knows - was it really that bad?  Well, his story was convincing enough that I was willing to tip him well :)

We got back to the htoel and went to the casino for a couple of hours.  We were playing the nickel slots and Bev actually was doing really well - she won like $20!

Day 2 • Poás Volcano, Cloud Forest Hike

After breakfast, see the statue of the drummer boy, Costa Rica’s hero. Next, weather permitting, visit Poás Volcano. You can safely view this dramatic mile-wide crater from an overlook. Next, hike the Escalonia Cloud Forest Trail, home to epiphytes, orchids, ferns and tropical hummingbirds. Cloud forests are like rainforests, but with less rain and more humidity. Enjoy lunch. Then, see San José’s Plaza de la Cultura, Central Park and the National Theatre. Visit the National Museum (on Mondays, visit the Gold Museum instead). Enjoy dinner. BLD

Downtown San Jose, CR
Butterfly Garden at the National M…
Butterfly Garden at the National …
The streets of San Jose