Another Canal Tour ... and off to La Fortuna

La Fortuna Travel Blog

Banana Plantation

Tuesday morning, we started off with breakfast at the Laguna Lodge restaurant.  Then we had a second canal tour to see more animals.  The wildlife  here is just AMAZING!!!  I can't believe how many birds, reptiles and other animals we have encountered.  It was raining again this morning, but as soon as we headed out on the boat, it stopped.

Eldon told us that it's rare that we see this many animals this time of the year, especially with it being the rainy season, they don't ususally come out in bad weather.  The temperature was great, mid-80's every day and it has been sunny every time we've had an outdoor activity scheduled.

I have been overwhelmed with how beautiful Tortuguero National Park is, and I know I prefer to just jump in a car with a Lonely Planet or Fodor's book and find my own adventure, but I don't know that we would have found this one on our own.

The rig system to transport bananas
  Or if we would have found it, I think getting there would have been too hard to coordinate on our own, so in this case - one definite benefit to being with a tour group.  There are no roads in/out of Tortuguero, so I don't know how the people who live in the village ended up getting there, unless they were born and raised there.  I did read online that you can coordinate flights in/out of San Jose, but those small planes, in a third world .... oh sorry ... "Developing" country kind of scare me.

Tortuguero gets about 200" of rain per year (one of the wettest places on Earth) and the wettest months are June, July & December.  So, Eldon was completely correct in telling us that he's surprised we have had the great weather we've gotten.

Me and Mom on our Day 5 hike.
  Tortuguero was protected as a nesting sanctuary in 1963 and declared a National Park in 1970 largely due to the efforts of the Caribbean Conservation Corporation and a turtle biologist named Archie Carr from the University of Florida.

There is a great website about Tortuguero National Park here.

We headed back to the hotel for lunch and checked out of our cabins.  We loaded our bags back on the boat for the two hour ride back to Limon and the bus ride to La Fortuna.  On the way to La Fortuna, we stopped at another banana plantation.  This plantation was much more of a corporate plantation - even though both of them were Dole plantations.

The drive to La Fortuna
  They had rig systems set up to put the bananas in, then transported them via a cage on a rail system to the place where they were washing and separating bananas by hand.

After the 3 hour ride to La Fortuna, we checked into our hotel at Las Cabanitas del Fortuna and had a free night to have dinner and wander into town and check out the local village.  The hotel was great, we had 3 double beds in our cabin, a porch, and a great HOT shower with good water temperature.  They had BEAUTIFUL flowers and flowering trees all over the grounds, huge canas, impatients, gladiolas, butterfly bushes, and lime trees!  The walk into the village was about 10-15 minutes, we went into town and picked up some snacks, I was starting to get a sore throat, and I just had strep throat about a month before that, and I don't think I completely got rid of it the last time, so I stopped at a pharmacy and picked up some OTC antibiotics.

Our cabin at Las Cabanitas
  The girl working there diagnosed me and gave me a 3 day super-strong dose of antibiotics and some ear drops for the ear infection too.  Three pills and I was good as new!!!

We checked out some of the little shops in town, and since we had been seeing so many stray dogs everywhere that we go, I also picked up a box of Milk Bones to give the pups some treats.  We stopped in an internet cafe and checked emails for about $2/hour and had ice cream at a local shop.  We did pick up a few souveniers here and headed back to jump in the pool fora little while and go to bed early - since I wasn't feeling well.

Day 5 • San Carlos Valley, Fortuna

Morning cruise on Tortuguero River. Enjoy lunch. Visit a pineapple plantation. Next, through scenic countryside to the San Carlos Valley for a two night stay in Fortuna.

Dinner. BLD

Las Cabinatas Hotel

Las Cabanitas Hotel is located in the northern zone of Costa Rica neighboring the town of Fortuna and the active Arenal Volcano.  The area is surrounded by breathtaking emerald green hills, forests, lakes, rivers with the majestic view of the volcano.  Tourists from all around the world flock to this gem of a place offering abundance of natural beauty for the eco tourist and nature lover.  The small village of La Fortuna has grown considerably to accommodate visitors and their needs with great restaurants, bars, banks and much more.

If you came for adventure that’s what you’ll find here.  Explore the endless trails of the beautiful national parks, splendid waterfalls, river rafting excursions, hikes or horseback rides at the base of the volcano.

They also had amazing gladiolas, impatients and canas!
  The lake is also a fun place to take a boat out, mountain bike, windsurf or sailboard as the weather conditions are perfect for those water sports. Visitors will find it easy to find fun activities to partake in creating an unforgettable Costa Rican vacation.

The beautiful trees at the hotel
They also had amazing gladiolas, i…
They also had amazing gladiolas, …
La Fortuna