Day -14 - Charlotte

Charlotte Travel Blog

I have many friends who have known me for years who don't even know what JOH really is.. I'll try to develop it as much throughout my entries, but it's virtually impossible to describe it with words. So, here's a rough idea of our typical day:

5:30 AM Crew Chief (CC - my position) and Project Manager wakes up to pack

5:45 Rest of Crew wakes up to pack.

6:00 Cyclists wake up. CC sets up breakfast

6:15 Pack Vehicles. CC eats bfast.

6:25 Crew Meeting to go over events, logistics, and route

6:30 Breakfast.

6:50 Team meeting with cyclists.

7:00 Begin cycling. Project Manager goes to destination to meet with volunteers and sponsors. Crew take positions on route. CC releases the cyclists.

10:30 Lunch by CC at designated mile mark.

11:00 Back on bikes.

12:30 Team arrives at stage up

1:00 Crew escorts team to the arrival site

1:30 Team arrives to City Hall and lines up for media. Sets up Kids on the Block Puppet show.

1:45 Proclamation by Mayor, KOB puppet show, and interaction with children from local day camp.

2:45 Team cycles to high school for lodging.

3:00 Unpack vehicles. Team showers and get ready for evening programming.

3:30 CC coordinates bike shop, walmart, etc runs. Crew gases vehicles. CC shops for groceries. Crew scouts next day's route.

5:15 Depart for friendship visit with local Arc.

5:30 Team arrives to local Arc for dinner and dance.

9:00 Team returns to high school for the night.

9:15 Quick team meeting to review next day's logistics and individual responsibilities.

9:30 Finish Crew tasks (ice, water, etc...)

11:00 Sleep (usually MUCH later)

This is a very rough schedule of our "typical" day. It certainly varies greatly depending on the programming. A friendship visit is when the team visits people with disabilities to interact and have fun. We do anything from going to major league baseball games, bowling, dancing, play wheelchair basketball, or just visiting and talking. It is one of the many ways that Journey of Hope serves people with disabilities. If you are in Atl or any other city that Journey of Hope goes through and would like to go on a friendship visit, give me a call (or send me a comment) and we'll set it up! We'd love for people to go with the team for visits!

photo by: krakers71