Day -12 - Charlotte

Charlotte Travel Blog

I can't even begin to describe ALL of the stuff that we've been learning and doing. The most important thing for the crew is to make sure that there are cyclists safe! The arrival in D.C. isn't worth it if we can't get there safely. In 2003, I had 2 concussions and got knock off the bike more times than I can remember. Anything from cars buzzing us or cutting us off, poor road conditions, or other cyclists running into us can easily lead to bad accidents! Crew members are there to ensure safety and we are taught to "rack" cyclists for being unsafe on the road. To rack a cyclist is to put his bike on the bike rack and not allow him to ride (or go out that night). This teaches them to always be safe, but it often makes us the "bad guys" for being the disciplinarian. We have to know and enforce every single rule. They're all in place for their safety. In 2003, I didn't see that at all. To me, the crew members had a choice and just chose to rack us for a power trip or something. But now I see things much MUCH differently. We can't let one or two people slide that one time and NOT let others get away with it- that just won't be right (Rosebud theory), so I need to make everything as black-and-white as possible.

We had a training roadside, today! Being on roadside is about setting up the water, snacks, "caution cyclists" sign, giving proper directions, leapfrogging, and dealing with unsafe cyclists. Since I'm a Pi Alpha, I sat back and let the other guys make the calls and gave them suggestions. The CEO of Push America was one of our "cyclists" and they made sure we experienced worst cases scenarios. They did everything from “drinking” beer on the bike to “breaking” their leg. We needed to be on top of things and know the procedures for setup, racking, emergencies, and leapfrogging. To ensure safety, we keep cyclists between 2 vehicles at all times. Once all cyclists have passed the last vehicle, it "leap frogs" ahead of the front vehicle. Cyclists are stopped at the front vehicle until another vehicle gets in front of them.

Charlotte