Pearl Harbor

Pearl Harbor Travel Blog

Entrance to the memorial
As we were finishing up our drive around the west side of Oahu we decided to make a quick stop at Pearl Habor. After a short, pleasant encounter with the Military Police guarding the entrance to Ford Island, we found the correct entrance to the USS Arizona Memorial.

Emilia, being from Romania, and I, having watched way too many WWII documentaries, decided to not to do the full tour of the memorial, but instead to peruse the grounds and other available items to see.

The memorial is very nice, although it is starting to show its age a little. The information that they present is straightforward and laid out in a very nice format. There is a great viewing area of the harbor where you can see the Arizona Memorial, the USS Missouri, USS Bowfin and other naval vessels.

As we strolled through the area and read the placards explaining that fateful day on December 7, 1941, I explained to Emilia the significance of Pearl Harbor. She was able to give me some insight from the Romanian point of view and how her country was pretty much held captive by the Nazis.

One thing that was surreal to me was the number of Japanese tourists. Bus load upon bus load were visiting the day we were there. One visitor made the statement that he knew the Japanese had bombed Pealr Harbor, he didn't realize they had invaded and occupied the island. Oahu visitors are 75% Asian, which I think is a low number. (We saw very few Asians on Maui).

After spending 90 minutes, we left to go back to the hotel in Waikiki.
USS Arizona Memorial