The perfect gateway

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Welcome back :)

I return to Hong Kong from Macau completely drained. Everything in Macau is screaming for your attention, and after thirty hours of madness, it's good to be back in the 'sanity' of Hong Kong - and it's seven million inhabitants. Also; thank heaven for the MTR. There's nothing better than to arrive back and have a metro to your bed waiting for you. Even if you miss it, you know you'll only have to wait two minutes, tops. It's a great system, and everything's a breeze with your Octopus card. You can even pay at 7-11s and Maccie D's with it. The english signs are greatly appreciated as well! Getting around is easy as one, two, three in Hong Kong. That, the english and it's connections make it the perfect gateway to Asia. Instead of plunging in head first, Hong Kong takes you by your hand, guiding step by step into the Asian cultural differences.

You have choice.

I make my way back to my hostel, collect my stored bags and crash into a deep sleep. Next morning I'm awoken by Nadine, a fellow Dutchie from the Hague and my roommate for my final days in Hong Kong. Sweet as! I have a bit of an internet day, uploading pictures of Macau and Hong Kong, catching up with me mates and sending around some emails. It's wednesday night which means only one thing: Happy Valley racing! I badly want to see the races one time, as everyone says it's a blast and not too miss. Nadine and Bonny, another new roomy from SanFran join me, and along the way to the racetrack we meet up with Anthony. Anthony is an Irish bloke who travelled the trans Siberia express and met with Nadine along the way in China.

Four's a party!

At the tracks, the four of us slip in for free and get to know each other better over a couple of beers. Anthony and I, with our heads still in Macau, decide to place a bet on the next race, for shits and giggles. I fancy horse no.8, as a number eight just won the last race, and horse no.10, because, well, it's number ten! I mean, that's just obvious. Anthony goes with horse 4 and 6, but as horse no.6 is wearing a bright pink headcap, there's no way that's going to win. Period! We each put four euros on our horses and get back to the tracks to cheer for our new babies.

The bell rings, heads turn and conversation are put on hold. The race is on. Anthony's horse have a good start, where mine are somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Don't forget to picture a storm of encouraging Chinese screams behind you
It's the final second that counts though. I'm not worried at all. Number 10 is getting stronger and overtakes some horses, rising from the 6th to 4th place. A hundred meters to go. Seventy meters. Third place. Fifty. Come on baby. Thirty meters to go, second place! Some twenty left, than ten, then five, and then it's over. Finished. Horse no.10 finishes second, a nose lenght behind the winner. If only! I would have been a multi-miller now. Alright, maybe not, but still. We drink out, then leave to celebrate my, ehm, nearly win in a club.

Thursday is all about preparing for my trip through Asia. I apply for a Chinese visa, sort out my clothes and manage to select ten kilos to send back home. Ten kilos! My trip is going to be a walk in the park now.

The Duk Ling Junk
Sending stuff overseas is surprisingly cheap from Hong Kong; just twenty euros for a full weekend/travel bag. Time flies, and already it's time for my last activity in Honkers: the Duk Ling Junk Tour. It's good to venture out a bit further in the harbour than where the Star ferries take you, but it's not really exciting. That afternoon I plan to meet up with Hong Kong based TravBuddy Carmen, but unfortunately it doesn't work out. Next time then Carmen! I promise :)

After some midnight conversations with Nadine, we meet up with Anthony and his Irish mate again for lunch the next day. After a good fill we say goodbye to Nadine and go to pick up our visa'd passports. Anthony is travelling almost the exact same route in a similar timeframe as me, and I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of each other over the coming three months, which is wicked. Now it's time to board my train to Guangzhou, 'real' China and another TravBuddy: Calvin (zkw). I can't wait!

john1112 says:
your Blog is simply amazing
GREAT JOB!!!!

:D
Posted on: Jul 09, 2008
martinezsmi says:
thanks for sharing the gambling portion love to gamble and macau and happy valley are on my list when i head to asia next year
Posted on: Jul 03, 2008
kmlo says:
i just read this:P
anyway, i hope we can meet in hk or somewhere else next time. how is your trip in thailand, by the way? i miss the thailand beaches sooooooo much! im jealous of you:)
Posted on: Jun 17, 2008
Happy Valley!
Dont forget to picture a storm of…
Don't forget to picture a storm o…
Apartmentsapartmentsapartments