Wrap it up, Nic

Wellington Travel Blog

New Zealand, the edge of the world. My month here is over, and it's time to move on. I've seen the scenes and I did the do's. Whale watching, check. Sea kayaking, glacier hikes, yes sir. Flying an aircraft, luging, Fergburgers, I did 'm. Bungy jumps, skydives, check, check, double check. Time to wrap it up, Nic.

Don't get me wrong here; I love New Zealand. It's a magical place with breathtaking scenes and friendly people, all coated in a think, juicy layer of adrenaline. New Zealand caters for the outdoor adventure traveller, and is good at that. I could live here and I want to stay longer, see more, do more, but alas, not now.

After my skydive over Lake Taupo, I felt I needed to get on with me last remaining Kiwi legs fast. I had a plane to catch on the 31st out of Wellington, and I still had to go to Rotorua, Auckland and the Bay of Islands, and then all the way back from there to Wellington, some 900 kilometers. When we set off from Taupo for Rotorua real early I thought we would stay in Rotorua for the night, but that turned out otherwise. The bus would continue to Auckland on the same day, and if you wanted you could stay on. I figured this was the best thing to do, as I was running out of money for activities anyway. I would have liked to do the white water rafting or a cultural Maori show, but so be it.

When we got off the bus in Auckland, there was one thing everybody immediately noticed. It was in the air, in the water, on the streets: city! Horns honking, tires screeching, brakes squeeling, motors puffing, traffic lights beeping, people chattering, generators rumbling. Aah, the city. I love it, I thrive on it, I need it. I am urban. New Zealand has loads of small towns and half cities. The second biggest city is Christchurch with a population of 300.000 people, where Auckland has 1.1 million. It felt good to be in a real city again. Again though, I didn't have much time to hang around. The next day I hopped on the Kiwi Bus to the Bay of Islands, in the far northern part of New Zealand. The Bay of Islands is alright, a bit overrated and very touristy. The scenery is nice though, but there isn't a whole lot to do except for beaching or paying big bucks for a boat tour aroung the area; either on a powerboat, ferry, cruise, dolphin and sealife viewing boat, take your pick. I didn't go on the water though, and mostly chiled on the beach, busy working on my tan. Make no mistakes, very tiring!

Then it was time for my last leg of my Kiwi Experience, back to Auckland. From there I flew out to Wellington, where I would spent my last couple of days. I visited the Te Papa museum twice and went to see a rugby game between the Wellington Hurricanes and the Christchurch Crusaders, which wasn't the best game of rugby in history, but enjoyable nonetheless. I wore my red sweater to the game, not knowing that red is the Crusaders colour, with yellow being the Hurricanes'. I felt a bit.. awkward sitting on a stand surrounded by people fully dressed in yellow. Nothing bad happened though, although I wouldn't try that during a football game in Holland.

Overal, I'm pretty happy with the Kiwi Experience. Because I only had a month in New Zealand, it was the right choice to go with a buscompany and be able to see a huge part of the country in a short period of time. Sometimes it was a bit rushed, squeezing in a lot of sights, but so be it. And New Zealand: what a country. I will be back here before long, it's such a magical place. I regret not seeing more of the Maori culture and rushing the North Island, so I'll have plenty more to see and to do the next time! Tomorrow I'm flying back to Sydney. Goodbye New Zealand!

alygally says:
I'm heading to New Zealand next month and I can't wait - your blog has made me even more excited =)
Posted on: Dec 12, 2008
mikevirgo0824 says:
I was supposed to go NZ last year.
Got this great Qantas ticket deal. Sing-SYD-Auckland then Wellington-Melbourne-Sing for US$1,000.00
Had to cancel my trip when I could leave work. Bummer!
Ended up spending Xmas in Prague instead. Wasn't too bad though. Just love that place.
Posted on: May 18, 2008
Ape says:
Haha, you for real? It is a nice country for sure, really laidback. Let me know hen you go, I might join you! Hah!
Posted on: May 18, 2008