Reunited

Adelaide Travel Blog

Just arrived

I’m sitting on a plane bound for Perth and trying to fight off the sleep. After two late nights out in Singapore with plenty of beers and five days of extensive travelling I’m pretty done for. I don’t want to sleep though, I love flying. Taking off being arguably the best part, I usually rave through the in-flight entertainment system and, uhm,  check out the toilets. I love aircraft toilets. No really. (Never thought I would this confession). I find it amazing how they can fit everything in such a small space. Aircraft toilets don’t differ much from each other but that doesn’t stop me from going in there a couple of times per flight. Later in the flight, after an embarrassing defeat playing chess to someone else on the plane I’m done with the entertainment system for a while and quickly succumb to the sleep.

My flight touches down in Perth and is followed a couple of hours later by flight QFXX to Adelaide, number thirteen of trip already.

My sister with my backpack
On my way to Adelaide I think about my family, something I’ve been doing more and more since this date grew nearer. How was their flight, their stay in Hong Kong, their first day in Australia?? And how will it be when we reunite? Can I even function in a family again? What about my eldest sister? I’ve had barely any contact with her during my trip as she doesn’t email. Since my departure I have a great relationship with my brother, how will that act out when we’re around each other 24/7 again? A hundred questions are distracting me. Answers will soon come though.

Official plan: make your way from the airport to the city and the hotel, where we’ll be waiting for you. In the plane, however, I suspect that my family (and my mum especially) will come to the airport anyway, and I’m not disappointed. I spot my mum waiting for me in the arrivals hall, scanning around for me.

Being cool in Australia
She doesn’t see me in the crowd and I walk up to her from behind. I call out her name and we embrace each other. Still embraced in a big hug I’m assaulted by my sister and brother who bolt in and jump on my back. When my sister and dad arrive we’re complete again. The six of us. I’m back.

While not as emotional as I though it would be I’m pretty shaken up with the whole thing. My knees are weak and my voice creaky as everyone fires a hundred questions at me. How do you feel? Search me mate, I have no idea. I’m feeling like everything. I’m in a sort of spacy state as we make our way to the rental car and the hotel. I still know the way in Adelaide though. I navigate my dad through the city and we’re quickly at the hotel where we spend some quality family time together, for the first time since eight month. My camera goes round and round, we keep hugging each other and laughing.

I love them so much.

My aunt Marijke and my niece Alicia (read here) pop by after breakfast and after some quick shopping for shoes we make for the South Australian coast. A nice lunch and a big study or travel discussion later we walk to Granite Island, just of Victor Harbour. I’m engaged in conversation continuously as there’s just too much to discuss and talk about. Eight months is a pretty long time my friends. My mum and I get so caught up in our conversation that we forget about the rest of the family that my brother has to run back to the island to snap us out of our mind wanderings.

After my first time in Australia I came home with amazing stories about the continent, the people, the nature and my experiences.

Daniël, Marijke, Alicia, me
I was over the top, completely raving about Oz; my family listened to my stories, smiled and was happy for me, but my stories didn’t really root: while well travelled, my family had never been to Australia and it was hard for them to make an image of the place. So when I went for my second Australia trip, this time for four months, I was determined that they come over and see the country for themselves, so as to not come home again with stories that they wouldn’t really understand. All well, and after a bit of persuasion they decided to come over. As I was travelling through Asia I thought it all over, and asked myself the question if it hadn’t been better if I would’ve taken them round Asia instead.

Now I’m driving through the glowing hills of Adelaide and see the Australian landscape flowing past me and it feels like I’ve come home.

Complete now :)
Suddenly I’m a hundred percent convinced of my actions. Yes, it’s better this way, to have them see Australia for themselves instead of Asia. Australia is home.

Ape says:
Haha, no I love 'em! Plus they're the only place during your flight when you're not constantly with other people around you.
pinchora says:
Great story Nic!!! That's awesome you got to share you joy with your family and I find it very strange that you like airplane toilets... I try to avoid them at all costs... in fact I think I've only ever been in 4 (and 2 times was my flight 2 and from china!!)
Ape says:
I have a (2nd degree?? Shoot me) auntie living there, and her daughter.. I never met let alone heard from them before I went over to Australia, and my mum dug out some contact adresses on this side of the world. I've met them twice now :) I love the rolling hills outside of Adelaide and near Victor Harbour; you live in an amazing place Shirley!
Complete now :)
On Granite Island of the coast of …
On Granite Island of the coast of…
The family! My sisters missing
The family! My sister's missing
Lovely Adelaide
Lovely Adelaide
Wine orchards in Barossa Valley
Wine orchards in Barossa Valley
With my brother near the hotel in …
With my brother near the hotel in…
Marijke and Alicia