Raving

Melbourne Travel Blog

CBD in Melbourne

I've been in Melbourne for a week and a half now, and although I'm really beginning to like the city, it's time to move on. It'll be good to be back on the road though, as I'm rapidly becoming a lazy bastard down here. I've got no obligations whatsoever, and can do whatever I want, whenever I want. That basicly means I spent most of the days in bed, most of the nights in clubs and the time in between either in a citypark or again, in bed. Don't get the wrong picture here though, I'm not wasting my time/doing nothing. I'm socialising heaps with other people, travellers and locals alike and checking out what Melbourne has to offer is terms of culture, sport, nature, entertainment, everything really.

Crown complex along the Yarra River
Melbourne Museum, Royal Botanical Gardens, Royal Exhibition Centre, Maritime Museum, the SkyTower, Crown Casino Enterntainment complex (+$100,- yes baby!), St. Kilda seaside, check, check, check, double check. I'm just chilling out much too, and at the same time, kinda feel like I deserved that, after my fulltime Comedy Cafe job and last year's university fiasco.

Anyways, this weekend was full of partying, as any good weekend should be. I met three guys from Brisbane in the hostel who were up for some clubbing, where all the Dutchies I met chickened out, were getting an 'early night' or 'didn't feel like partying'. There's no such thing as an early friday or saturday night alright, give me a break. You came all the way to Australia, you might as well make it worthwhile by exploring new stuff.

Crown Casino
Anyhow, the Brisbane Boys didn't let me down, and together we found our way to Fitzroy Street, the main clubbing area of St. Kilda and also the street where I went out clubbing last weekend. After some bars we had a great time in Area61 (again). We left a couple of times but always found our way back to DJ Funks mad sounds. He is there every friday, together with his mate from Geelong, south of Melbourne. His mate took me to the snackbar next door, which is actually owned by DJ Funk. Now who would have thought that? Turns out he's a Dutchie too. Now that IS something I should have figured out. Real Dutchies do trance for breakfast, elektro for lunch and house for dinner, progressive in between, with Red Bull running through our vains and our hearts beating at a rate of 160 bpm.
Good times at Area61
Of course DJ Funk is Dutch!

The next day, a guy in the hostel who I told my story of the night advised me to go to Brunswick St in Fitzroy, another nightarea. Yup, that's Brunswick Street in Fitzroy and Fitzroy Street in St. Kilda. How convenient. On the way there I met with a group of thirtiers on the tram, who just had had a late dinner and were now drunkingly making their way to Brunswick St. They were a funny lot and immediately adopted me as their young 'Dutchland guy'. Unfortunately they were too coaxed out of their minds already to really have a party with, and I left them quite soon to check out some other bars. Brunswick St is an area with mainly small bars and boutiques, no big nightclubs or anything. Nice place, yes, clubbing, no. I tried to hold a cab in search of a real rave, but couldn't find any (cabs, not raves).

with the Brisbane Boys
When I finally got to one, I asked the cabbie about the fare to St. Kilda, but unfortunately, he already had a passenger. Fortunately, his passenger was a genuine nice bloke who invited me in cos he knew 'what a pain in the ass it was to get a cab'. He was on his way home in St. Kilda and would be happy to drop me off anywhere along the way. For free.

What an ace guy. This story might sound a bit dodgy, this older bloke inviting this younger fella in the cab, but let me assure you, it was not. There wasn't the slightest feeling of awkwardness whatsoever, and we had a good conversation about life and Melbourne. He refused my money when I got off the cab, told me to spent it on some booze and thanked me for our conversation. Gotta love the Australians!

I found myself on, you guessed it, Fitzroy Street.

St. Kilda "beach"
Straight to Area61, straight to the dancefloor. No beers, no nothing. I'm actually beginning to believe that trance parties are good for me. Alright, all clubbing is bad for your ears, but for example I drink way less alcohol at a trance party than at a party where they play pop or hip-hop. And as trance in individual music, less contact with other people means less chance to get caught up in a row. Trance lovers are pretty 'social' to each other, as opposed to the hiphoppers or rappers, where it's one big pile of testosteron and jealousy, mainly cos of the ladies. Where trance listeners just wanna have a good time, loads of guys at the other parties are hoping to get lucky during the night and pick up someone, which creates competition. And no, if you're thinking of picking up someone at a rave, think again and go home to change your tactics.

Today's lesson in short: Trance > other music. There you go, you learn something new everyday. This weeks assignment is to get out there, attend a rave and have a good time. Stay away from any drugs and enjoy the night. Class dismissed.

Ape says:
Yeh, uni.. If you can't beat them, join them! is the saying innit? ;)
Posted on: Apr 23, 2008
JeAr says:
lol another funny entry :) and i suddenly got curious about the 'university fiasco' thing hahaha! but i think u'd make a good professor instead :P
Posted on: Apr 23, 2008
Sunflower300 says:
Oh no. I am way late with my homework; looks like I'll be getting the teacher drunk, I don't think you are setting a good example for your students. :D
Posted on: Feb 01, 2008
Pat and me
Pat and me
The Brisbane Boys
The Brisbane Boys
DJ Funk and his mate from Geelong …
DJ Funk and his mate from Geelong…
Im glad someone finally agrees wi…
I'm glad someone finally agrees w…
Melbourne