Paradise is a state of mind

Westport Travel Blog

After my Abel Tasman adventure it was time to leave Nelson behind and get on with my trip. I was lucky to get on the sunday bus out of Nelson, as I was 4th on the waiting list. If I had failed to get on, I would have had to wait at least until thursday. We had a quick shopping stop on our way out, so that we could have a lunchstop at Lake Nelson, where there was a powerboat race going on. The races itself were not too exciting as the racetrack was just a big circle on the lake, but boy oh boy, the sound these machines make! Incredible. They easily trump the sound a medium sized aircraft would make taking off. Most of the spectators had earplugs with them, unfortuantely I didn't.

Punakaiki Pancake Rocks, New Zealand
On the one hand it was exciting to watch, on the other hand it was a shame to disturb the peace of nature on that beautiful mountain lake in such a violent way. Those boats raped the lake. We had some lunch and after an hour moved on to Westport, an 'old' mining town.

Westport had a history of mining and could rival bigger cities like Auckland and Wellington. Back in the days, that is. Nowadays, and especially on sundays, there is shit to do. There were some cool activities in the Westport region, but I decided to skip them. Horse riding and quad biking is definitely wicked, but I really need to think on what I want to spend my money on, and what's not really worth it. In town I found an internet cafe to work on my blog and upload some of the many many photos I took in the Abel Tasman park.

Punakaiki
The internet was so slow it was frustrating, and I felt like tossing the whole computer out of the window. I gave it up after an hour or two, and went back to the hostel. Eric cooked me dinner and we had some good talks about studies and studying over it. I still don't know what I want to study when I get back, and I'm highly doubting I would want to study in Amsterdam, or anywhere in Holland for that matter. I just can't see myself beginning I life there, or I don't want to see myself doing that. There is so much more to the world than that little, flat country up there in Europe. Naturewise, culturewise, I want more than just Holland.

I'm not saying I don't like Dutchies, but the culture is so tame, so indoors, so normal, so simple. The saying 'Just act normal, that's crazy enough' applies to Holland.

Blowhole
They made it their way of living. On the other hand, I miss my friends and family. My family will always be there for me, and support me in any way they can. My best mate seems to understand life (and me) better than the majority of people, and I have great times with my friends. I love them badly, but even though they're there, I'm still not sure on a life in Holland. Where then, you ask? I don't know. On the road, travelling? Would love to, but I'm not sure in what way, with what sort of occupation. Here in New Zealand? It's a great country for sure, and I loved every minute since I arrived here, but let's be honest: I've only been here for a week. Australia? Indeed an awesome country, but again, I'm not sure. I want to see those countries as a citizen, because it's hard judging when you're travelling.
Paradise? Yes and no
Your vision gets coloured. To find my paradise, I need time.

Paradise isn't a country, place or region. Paradise is a state of mind. As I posted in a comment to another TravBuddy today, I'm struggling finding my paradise. I'm doubting it's even possible at my young age, but travelling is certainly helping me achieve it. Everything is so new for me, being away from my family, from my friends, from my good ol' home, visiting new countries, new parts of the world, meeting so many new people, on my own but never alone. I've never done this before, this is my first time for so many things. But I'm doing it. I might not to everything right, but I don't need to either. I learn from my mistakes, experiences, encounters, travels. I'm taking on the challenge. I'm taking on life. Enlightment will come. But for now I'm busy collecting my thoughts, reliving and rethinking my memories over and over again, analyzing and learning. I haven't found my paradise, my inner peace yet, but I'm working on it.

And fuck am I proud of that.

JeAr says:
now u're talking! :D
Posted on: Apr 30, 2008
Ape says:
Haha don't you worry about that! I'll cook you some poffertjes, promise.
Posted on: Apr 30, 2008
JeAr says:
well, mate, hope u find it soon. no hurries though, u're still very young. but don't give up on Holland yet, cuz i still need to go there and u still need to treat me to some poffertjes :P
Posted on: Apr 28, 2008
Punakaiki Pancake Rocks, New Zeal…
Westport