Melbourne

Melbourne Travel Blog

St. Pauls

I arrived on wednesday pretty done for, after a long and tiring day of traveling. I made my way to King Street and it's hostels, just a couple of blocks away from Melbourne's Southern Cross station. I was planning to go to Greenhouse Backpackers, but I couldn't bother to find out where to catch a bus or other transport. I rented a bed in a six dorm bed room in King St Backpackers, but didn't really like what I saw. It's a bit dodgy, fairly old looking, not really what I expected. Did the WakeUp in Sydney spoil me? Lets hope not, with South East Asia coming up later in 2008.

Meanwhile I transferred to Melbourne Connection Backpackers, across the road from King St Backpackers.

Federation Square
I tried it out for a night, and since the Greenhouse Hostel is completely full, I booked five more nights here. It's a small hostel, nothing in comparison to Greenhouse or WakeUp, but that's also good for a change I guess. Yesterday I set out to explore Melbourne, but I must say, so far I like Sydney better. I walked around the docks, Federation Square and Lygon Street, bought some essentials and slowly wandered around Melbourne. I must say the extreme heat and the 'trained to annoy' flies also make up a part of my impression on Melbourne so far. I'm officially travelling for a month now, although it feels more like a week. Time flies when you're having fun, so true. I'll spent the next few days exploring Melbourne some more, hope to get some good parties this weekend, and maybe see the soccer match tomorrow night between Melbourne and Adelaide.

Meanwhile, I'm really mixed up on the holidays; New Years Eve in Sydney has been a dream since the moment I set foot in Australia, but now friends invited me to celebrate with them in Canberra. I know that my time in Canberra will be kickass, no doubt, but then, Sydney... I gotta give this some more thought. What would you do? New Years in Sydney won't go anywhere, and I hope to have plenty of opportunities to do that later in my life.

Ape says:
Ah no I didn't.. There were tours available, I think those happy feets are in melb year round. Christmas with the hot weather was strange to say at least!
Posted on: Jul 18, 2008
pinchora says:
so I just found this out from reading RJ's blog...but did you get to see any penguins while you were there? Well, I don't know if it has to be cold... so maybe you're seeing them now as it's winter in australia and when you were here this time it was the summer time. Oh that brings me another questions... how was it having Christmas in warmer weather? Or was it not warm?
Posted on: Jul 16, 2008
Sunflower300 says:
Once you have been spoilt by Sydney, Melbourne seems so bland.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008