Bowral

Bowral Travel Blog

Southern Highlands

Away from the bustling streets, roaring trains, sunny beaches and crowded malls of Sydney and onto a nice little town in the Southern Highlands; I've exchanged Sydney for Bowral.

An hour and a half from Sydney by train, Bowral is beautiful small town in the wine/Blue Mountains region. The name Bowral was derived from Bowrel, which was the Aboriginal name given to the area. Bowrel is thought to have meant "large" or "high", referring to Mt Gibraltar. So much for Bowral trivia, as there nothing else to know about this place. Then why go to Bowral Nick, you ask? I'll tell you, it's the people. Last year, on my sports trip to Aussie, we stayed some four days in and around Bowral, hosted by students of Oxley College.

Simply put, awesome time. Cool activities, parties, sports, just heaps of fun. I made new friends in the short time I was there, so I had to pay them a visit.

Arriving in Bowral, Chloe picked me up and showed me around town. Bowral is your average small town; couple of boutiques, couple of cafe's, some supermarkets, a handful of churches, a cinema and a whole lot of fancy houses. We chilled some in a park, and I met with Gaby, Maddie and Sam, Chloe's mum, sister, brother. That night we went to a pub where Michael worked, an awesome guy who I met last year. He invited us to go clubbing in Sydney the next night.

On the second day, I joined Gaby and her friend John on the mountainbike for a ride through the hills. It was good to get some exercise, although after 30K of hills, the last one was pretty tough. Afterwards I went for a swim and a stroll around town. That night I left Bowral for the two and a half hour journey to Sydney, where Michael and his mate pciked me up for some partying. Clubbing in Sydney was, disappointing, to say at least. Because of the strict 18+ laws, you create 18 and 20yo who don't really know how to behave while clubbing. Michael was the only one who knew where to go, the rest seemed fairly new at this game. As a result we walked from Kings Cross to Darling Harbour to the Harbour Bridge and did.. nothing? We went for a swim in Mike's friend crib, before getting back to Bowral in the afternoon. Mike turned up the bass on the road, which made the way back to Bowral the best part of the trip. That night, after cycling in 28C, swimming, a nightly stroll through Sydney and 38 hours without sleep, I was pretty much done for.

The rest of my days in Bowral were nice and quiet. A dinnerparty, setting up Mikes DJ gear, a movie, a musicperformance by Maddie's class at Oxley, just good times. I'll be leaving Bowral for Canberra later in the day, where I'm staying at DJ JCs. Good times guaranteed ;)

Sunflower300 says:
Next time go to Oxford Street for clubbing.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008