Bloodstained iPods and.. no bags?

Sydney Travel Blog

The WakeUp! hostel, opposite Central Station

There you go, first blog from Sydney, Australia! My journey from Amsterdam to Syd started early at four in the morning. After all the last minute worries, we set for the airport pretty late, which made me quite nervous. Not the best way to start your travels! After an emotional goodbye with my family, the moment was there: on my own, on my way.

While checking in at Schiphol, the desk attendent told me is still too early for her to check me in for my connecting Qantas flight, and that I had to do that myself upon arriving in London. Fine by me, except that I completely forgot. Oops. So as I was standing in line to board the plane to Sydney, I realized that I didn't have a boarding pass.

at the Sydney Opera House
That's when I had the panic button, but thankfully a cool guy from British Airways helped me out. The flight to Sydney via Singapore was okay; I got some sleep, watched some music and chilled a bit with the people next to me. After our pause in Singapore though, I had just finished my lunch when I felt something dripping from my nose. Blood, just great. Some of it fell on my brandnew iPod and a couple of drops on my pants. I've had these all of a sudden bloodnoses a couple of times before, but they ust don't make any sense, so stupid.

After touchdown in Sydney, I got my Working Holiday Maker Visa and set out to get my rucksack. After some time waiting at the luggagebelt, it was clear no new bags would arrive, and everyone moved to a desk at the end of the hall. I was told my bag was still on London, but would be delivered to my hostel the following day.

with the Harbour Bridge
Ah well, shit happens I guess, although there were some thirty other passengers waiting at the 'where's-my-bag?' desk. With just a little Qantas bag containing a toothbrush, shampoo and a t-shirt and my handluggage I got out to meet Lucy, a friend of mine who would pick me up from the airport. We have some good times together, and got some dinner before she dropped me off at the WakeUp! hostel. Having an airport pick up was real great, thanks so much Luc!

The WakeUp! has been pretty good so far. Nice dorms and good service. I would have been able to enjoy it a lot more though if I hadn't been dead sick. Not only is my jetlag worse than ever, I had to spent my entire first day lying in bed, running to the bathroom from time to time. The last couple of hours have been okay, although I couldn't eat more than a couple of apples and a twix. I've got good hopes that tomorrow will be better and I can set out to conquer Sydney. Let's just hope the weather gets better, everytime I come to Syd, I seem to bring heavy rains with me!

The WakeUp! hostel, opposite Centr…
The WakeUp! hostel, opposite Cent…
at Manly