AsiaIndiaUdaipur

Lakes and Palaces

Udaipur Travel Blog

Jagadish temple
I reached in the chilly early morning by bus, and headed to the railway station to find out about any day tour of Udaipur. The railway station is small and the doors were almost shut. I stepped in nevertheless, and saw that there was a tourism counter that would open later in the morning. So I looked around for the waiting room, so I could cleanup a bit. And while I was sitting there, a cop came by and wanted to boot me off the station. Sigh. What a way to begin a morning. I waited through the early morning anyway and had breakfast on the station. After a while, it seemed that the tourism office wasn't going to open. So I just asked a rickshaw driver to take me wherever the daily tours start from. He wanted me to do the tour in his rickshaw at the same price, but with some convincing he took me to the right place - which is this hotel belonging to Rajasthan tourism department.
City palace
Again here after waiting an hour or so, there weren't enough people for them to operate the bus tour. So the only option left was to take a rickshaw along with an old guy from Delhi who was also waiting for the tour.

So we visited a temple first, and then closeby took a short stroll through the City Palace, which was also closed that early in the day. Next was Rana Pratap's memorial and the surrounding Garden. Then another breif stop at Sakhiyon-ki-badi (pond-of-friends) and relax there a short while. Then we went to the puppet /folk art museum, where we also saw a quaint and very nice puppet show with traditional local (Rajasthani) puppets - Probably the high point of the day.

That was that for Udaipur pretty much.  I was eager to wind down the tour now and looking forward to relax back home soon, and finish off urgent chores before moving.
Traditional Rajasthani puppet show
So I went to a market closeby, looking for bus operators. I purchased a ticket for the noon bus to Ahmedabad, with time running short. Went back to the hotel and grabbed my stuff, grabbed some booze for my thirsty friend in Ahmedabad, and didn't make it to the bus in time. The bus had already left, inspite of having requested them to wait 5 minutes more. I had to go back to the bus operator, who had the damn bus stopped, and delivered me there on a motor-bike. Anyway, just glad to be on my way to Ahmedabad, where a decent board and food were waiting for me!

-- Ashish Bhambhani
Garden at Saheliyon-ki-badi.
Garden at Saheliyon-ki-badi.
Saheliyon-ki-badi.
Saheliyon-ki-badi.
Top side of Jagadish temple.
Top side of Jagadish temple.
Fateh sagar lake