AsiaIndiaAjmer

Another crowded holy place

Ajmer Travel Blog

Dargah sahib.
I got ready and set off at about 8:30 looking for a bus to Ajmer. Booked one for 9:30 and ran back to get my stuff and checkout. On my way to get the bus, I was just walking fast in one of the streets... and I hear 2 dogs barking behind me... and before I can turn to see whats happening, one of them damn well bit me on my ankle!! I wanted to kick the living daylight out of that dog.. if only I wasn't in such a hurry. I examined the damage, looked pretty safe to me since it had bitten on my jeans, and there was no direct exposure to the skin, just bruise and scrape from the jeans. So, watchout for those crazy frickin dogs in Jaipur man!

Anyway, I got into this un-cozy 15 seater to take me to Ajmer and Pushkar on the way.
Tomb entrance at Dargah Sahib.
We reached Pushkar around 14:00, and the main temple was already closed by then. So the tour group went straight to the Pushkar lake, which is again a holy place for the Hindus. Did some ritual prayer there, again stupidly enough letting the priest squeeze some money out of me.. *sigh* when will I ever learn to say NO! Well, after some lunch and visiting the main Brahma temple, set off towards Ajmer. After much arguing with the tour guy for a decent seat in the bus, and him pissing a few people off, and random delays for him to reorganize things, we reached Ajmer around 16:00.

The only agenda here was to visit the durgah of Baba Garib nawaz. Guess what ... another holy place. Man I was getting tired of these.. but apparently, like all others, it was a "must visit". We took a big tuktuk/rickshaw to the area, and walked to the Durgah. It was terribly crowded, as expected. And full of hawkers/shops asking everyone to buy stuff to take into the Durgah. After some jostling through the dense crowd, and an entirely too brief time inside the holy tomb, we went back to wait for the whole group to assemble. Took the rickshaw back to the bus parking. Post this I booked myself a ticket to Udaipur. Wasted time on the 'net, looked for a decent place to eat, found none and ate at a half decent one near the bus pickup point, wasted more time waiting for the bus.

Finally, got picked at around 22:00 and sat my way in a crappy-ish rigid seat, for lack of availability in a better bus, all the way to Udaipur.

-- Ashish Bhambhani.