Arrival in Dublin

Dublin Travel Blog

~We took the 'swift' ferry run by Irish Ferries, from Holyhead to Dublin. I booked the passage online at home before we left. While speaking to Brit Rail in Manchester I was informed that I could have booked the whole trip, train and ferry from Manchester, at a lower rate than I did on line. But what I didn't realize at the time was that I had booked a 'club class' fare. It was very nice but a standard fare passage would have been just as fine. The ferry was fast, only about one and a half hours on the ship. They had a nice lounge with a little food. Just a quick note - there is no cell service in the middle of the channel!

We called the car rental company, Murray Rental Cars in Dublin, they were great! they brought our car right to the dock and helped us find our hotel. It was Tom's first experience in 30 years driving on the left and it was great to follow someone for a few miles before he has to be on his own. Driving in Dublin would be difficult. Fortunatly we have a straight shot out of town this morning.

We will be driving stratight across the Island to the West. Tonight we will be staying at Ashford Castle in or near Cong. We hope to see a grouping of lakes along the way and we have heard there are about 1,000 castles in this area as well. I have my camera charged and ready!

AFter we arrived in Dublin last night we walked around the old city and through a beautiful park. We only had a couple of hours so we didn't get to see much of the city but it is nice. The Four Seasons Hotel in Dublin is very posh. The staff is incredible. The rates are steep though. We came back to have a cocktail before dinner and the one glass of wine and one cocktail was 44€, which is about $60 US! Yikes! They did give us peanuts.

We had dinner at a great restaurant called Roly's. IT was one of the very best meals we have ever had. The beef and chicken main dishes were superb but the vegetables were out of this world. Maybe I was just hungry for vegetables? We met some nice people who were eating around us and great conversations. The Irish are very freindly.

I am anxious to get out and get the camera humming today. We saw so many wonderful shots from the train window yesterday. It made my fingers ich!

Until 'morrow!

Occidenoir says:
Oh man. I'm with The Mom. Your checkbook balancer is going to have a heart attack when you get back... she figures they charged you per peanut!
Posted on: Oct 19, 2007
themom says:
Is it possible to buy a bottle of wine from a corner store and drink for less? Can't wait to see your photos. Keep left! The Mom.
Posted on: Oct 11, 2007