Peachtree Road Race -- Venice style

Venice Travel Blog

Today was our last day in Venice.  This morning, we had Music class at the nearby hotel.  After class, we had some time to walk before our appointment at the Academia.  We decided to wander and stop on the way for lunch and maybe do some shopping.  We didn’t get far before we found something to occupy our time for a while.  While crossing a bridge, we saw different types of boats rowing through with numbers on them.  Someone compared it to the Peachtree Road Race but Venice style.  There were all kind of boats – some canoes and kayaks; some were your traditional looking crew boat.  My first favorite was the one with men standing up rowing with really long oars.  When these boats came across us, they would all raise their oars up in the air and yell.  My other favorite was the one with tons of people with small oars rowing the beat of the drum they had on one end of the boat.

After watching the boat race, we decided to continue our walk.  We stopped at a place called “The Pizza Pause” where I got two huge slices of pizza, salad and a sprite for 6 euros (about 8 USD).  I was so excited to get some green in my diet!  I’m also getting pretty used to putting oil and vinegar dressing on my salad.  In the afternoon, we meet at the Academia which is located on the island near the Guggenheim we saw yesterday.  I would have to say that this museum was probably my least favorite of the ones we’ve seen so far.  None of the work really stood out at me probably because I had never heard of any of it before.

After the museum, a big group of us headed to the Rialto Bridge for some shopping.  We spent probably 2 hours there walking up and down the steps and down into the market below.  Allie, Katie and I went back to the hotel after buying some beers at the grocery store and relaxed for a while before heading out to find some dinner.

After walking for a while, we finally decided just to eat at a sandwich shop near our hotel.  I had a pretty good ham and cheese sandwich, at least for ham and cheese on white bread.  We went back to the hotel and drank our beers while playing games.

Around 9:30 PM, we meet up with a group that was going to the bar down the street.  We spent a little time with them before calling it a night pretty early.

Venice