Beware the Asian-Italian

Venice Travel Blog

This morning we had Art class at a nearby hotel called the Hotel Ameaus.  Originally on the schedule, we had free time after class but our Professor found a church the day before that he wanted to take us to.  So after class we all went on this church excursion.  Although the church was really nice, I would have much rather used the time to do something else.

After the excursion, Sarah, Matt, Hannah, Katie, Allie and I found a place to eat on the Grande Canal.  We should have known when saw only Asian waitresses that this was not going to be the best Italian food ever.  We got some pasta which had definitely been reheated but enjoyed the view of the Rialto Bridge and the boats going by nonetheless.

After lunch, we walked on the Rialto Bridge which is the main shopping area of Venice.  At the foot of one side of the bridge is a huge market including vendors with fresh fruit.  We spent sometime shopping where I got the cutest game day necklace that with yellow and clear beads.

That afternoon, we had an appointment at the Guggenheim.  This museum was located in the middle of no where off a side street across the Academia Bridge.  The museum was a really amazing mix of modern art.  I especially liked the Jackson Pollock pieces that were there.  He is one of the only modern artists that I really like.  I think people begin to appreciate it when they look beyond the simple lines of his work and try to understand the emotion behind the piece.

After the Guggenheim, a small group of us went to church nearby, the Basilica of Salute.  All of these churches that we see are so amazing!  I can’t even imagine painting or constructing anything like this.  While on the way back to the hotel, our group got a discount on a gondola ride.  Everyone except Katie and I went since we had already been to Venice.  We spent a little more time shopping.  Katie spent what felt like an hour in a bead shop trying to pick out beads for her 13 year old counsin.

Although Katie and I didn’t have a map, we were able to find our way back to the hotel by using landmarks that we had seen walking the same road since we got to Venice.  We meet up with Allie, Sarah, Hannah, and Jeff later and got some pizza from the place next door.  I got another pizza with spinach and cheese.  This one definitely wasn’t as good as the one I had yesterday.  Tired from the long day, I called it a night early.

photo by: asturjimmy