Desert city

Abu Dhabi Travel Blog

farewell Australia

........left Brisbane on the 13th flying Etihad airline ( new cheaper United Arab Emirites Airline based in Abu Dhabi which has just begun flying out of Brisbane...lucky for me !)  and after a quick 1hour stop in Singapore back onto the oh so squeezy seating to find I could spread out as flight to Abu Dhabi quite empty...thank goodness...managed to catch some ZZZZZZ. Oh yes was pleased that my individual screen was working on this 7 hour leg of the journey as it didnt work from Bris to Singapore.

At Abu Dhabi There were a few other westerners waiting to get bus to hotel so that was good. This overnight stay and accomodation was all part of my Etihad ticket. We finally got to Hotel Mafraq at about 1am after hanging around outside the airport for about half and hour.

Ab Dab giant mushroom airport
I immediately ordered room service and after being fed and watered finally got to sleep in the lovely room. the next morning i organised a driver and taxi for 50 us dollars for about 2 and a half hours which was just long enough to  get a tour of the city...and check out the esplanade; biggest mosque being built and an open air folk museum complete with artisans working; a camel and some old style UAE desert dwellings.....had time to sit overlooking the sea too. Glad I did it. Amazingly clean and open place...how do they build such amazing buildings on sand? The hotel was very nice...built in a "suburb" seemingly in the middle of nowhere as it looked like an oasis in the middle of the desert!

Ran into another Ozzie girl taking the same afternoon flight to Casablanca.....very pleased as we were the only westerners on the plane...we asked the airhostess if she could seat us together as the flight was full of Arabian men in their flowing gowns and headdresses was  little intimidating. I found  Etihad flight attendants to be very helpful at all times!.

Folk village