Crazy Casablanca

Casablanca Travel Blog

street scene

My first day alone in Casablanca was pretty good. I left Hotel Ajiad (right in the middle of the city..close to medina and all the action)and strolled along the main drag Hassan II Blvd past souvenier shops, pharmacies, cafes (french style with tables and chairs on sidewalk facing the road...but full of men drinking coffee..not many women in sight at these cafes),banks, pastisseries YUM and found a stationary shop and made my first purchase of a little notebook ...had my trip diary now.  I noticed the female styles of dress ranged from full cover in Black to the "bright young things" wearing very western TIGHT jeans and fairly revealing tops sometimes with headscarf...sometimes with out!and the modern business women weraing tailored suits with knee lenght skirts.

main post office
The male clothing varied from shirts and trousers to long coverup debilliah with cute hoods. I was suprised to see such a variety of modern clothing, especially on the women but I guess a city is a city where ever you are!  I had no hassles at all roaming round and it actually felt like it was the girls who were checking me out more so than the men!As I was wearing my daggy travel clothes of shirt and 3/4 lenght pants I felt a little underdressed.

Was quite a hot day and I was pleased to get back to my air-con room for an afternoon nap. Still recovering from the trip over.... that is my excuse anyway! I then ventured out again and found a sidewalk cafe that had a few couples and sat and ordered a coffee and watched the passing parade...As a smoker I was very pleased to be able to enjoy a ciggie with my coffee.

water sellers
.tho' I had read that women were not meant to smoke in public ,I felt quite comfortable lighting up.

This evening I met the other people going on the Kumuka tour....11 females!!!!! 9 Ozzies, 1 Kiwi, and 2 American.....how would that be for luck?!? Ages range from 19 to 50's and all seem very nice. Time will tell. Our guide will be Mr Mustafa. Not much paperwork or information was given at all..no documents requested but lots of smiles. Turns out 6 of the girls joined the tour in Tangier and had travelled for 2 days together already.

A few of us went to dinner at a nearby restaurant called Le Fleur...I had my first Moroccan Tagine! I chose a meatball (Kefta) one and it was absolutely delicious!!!!! Yummy bread  served as you sit down.....along with olives (which unfortunately I cannot aquire a taste for ). Even shared a red wine...Now I am in Morocco!!!!

vivapanama says:
Hello my name is jose & I currently reside in Los Angeles ca my girl friend & I are going to lizboa and then morocco I would appreciated any help like best ways of travel to or in morocco ether by train, plane or how is the currency, is it expensive in regards to accommodation,food transportation are there any land mark or sight to see i definitely want to go to casablanca other than I am lost to what could be there for us to experience, thank you for your time, your help is extremely appreciated.

Sincerely,
Posted on: Apr 14, 2008
water sellers
view from my hotel window...not ve…
view from my hotel window...not v…
Casablanca