Puerto Escondido

Puerto Escondido Travel Blog

BUS JOURNEY

18 hours on a bus. Ill warn anyone planning on doing this to take food along as there are no stops to get something to eat!! The air-con is also pretty powerful so take warm clothes.

Our first driver dropped off his 3 mates before we could set off and he took us into total ghetto Mexico which was pretty scary stuff. He then proceeded to overtake on blind corners, use his mobile and generally not pay attention.

Second driver was a speed freak, and to the sound of his pumping Mexican tunes we swerved around corners with cliffs either side, and I just had to close my eyes and hope for the best. Quite an experience!

PUERTO ESCONDIDO

Arrived around 11:30am. It was a bit cloudy and we had not slept more than an hour each so were tired.

Me in Puerto Escondido
Checked into our hotel which is stunning!! (7.50 a night) It has 2 beds, a kitchen, and a balcony with views of the sea, hammocks and couches. Very cool. Ill add all my photos at a later date as im rushing this so I can go surfing!!

We were really tired but forced ourselves to find a surf instructor. It cost us 20 quit for 2 hours and we each got a teacher. They took us to the beach for beginners which is beautiful: in a cove, blue sea, white sand, tons of stunning people.

We got taught how to get into a standing position a total of two times and then it was into the sea! We got out there and I could have just lay on the board in the sun all day but suddenly my instructor got exctited ´Start to paddle man, its your wave!´I paddled like fuck and nothing happened, then suddenly it was like being shot out of a cannon and I was up and surfing.

Our view in Puerto Escondido. Stunning.
It is the best experience, like harnassing mother nature. Bend was up on his second try and we spent 2 hour just surfing!

Aftrewards out instructors took us to the ´vip´area. Basically above the bars where they offered to share a joint with us which we kindly refused as we were already nackered. They took us back in their car after the joint, but not before they got a beer. Hey, its a long drive ,haha.

We were wiped out so just had something to eat on the beach and went to sleep.

2ND DAY

Woke up early and after breakfast we wanted to get straight to the beach and surf. We hired 2 boards which we got to the beach hanging out the window of a taxi.

Once there we soon realised we got boards which were way too small and pretty useless to us.

Our view in Puerto Escondido
We tried anyway and I caught a wave perfectly and was just getting up when an idiot surfed right infront of me! I had to bail and grab my board(which we were told never to do) or it would have taken his head off. Im in the water, caughing on salt and shit and then bang! The fin of my board smacked my arm. I didnt think anything of it until I was back on the beach. It was so swolen I actually freaked out and thought about going to the hospital...but nah! Tried to surf again but my arm was only strong enough to paddle out once so we headed back to the beach and when the sea got really rough we went in and started letting the waves knock us about which was amazing fun!

Back in our hotel...we are severely burned and my arm is killing, haha. We went out for somethin to eat and then to bed.

My arm fucked from surfing
I decided to go to doctor if my arm got any worse!

3RD DAY

Arm is slightly better but no surfing for me today! We went to supermarket which was weird as half of the shelves were empty! Just lay about in hammocks all day reading, listening to music and drinking ice cold beer. Went out at night but it was pretty quiet so headed home about 12. Bend walked into a metal pole which looked sore but was hillarious.

4TH DAY

Its stunning again! We hired bigger boards today and hit the beach. Surfed all day and were the last people to leave the beach. Tomorrow we need to find another hotel which sucks as our one is so good. We made ourselves dinner, not judging the portions very well and ended up with a mountain of food which we couldnt finish!

5TH DAY

Guess what?? Stunning day again! We found another hottel which is right on the beach, 12.

Bends burned back
50 a night. Hired our boards for a further 2 days so gonna go surf again. Neither of us wanna leave here but suppose we had better look at bus tickets too. We also need to sort flights for when we get to Cancun so we can get to Lima.

Ended up going 'shopping' which was us looking in 2 shops then deciding to hit the bar for a well earned beer. We started in Casa Babalon and me and bend had some drunken games of jenga. We were geting into a political debate-as you do when your drunk- and were saved when 3 Australian girls oined our table. We got pretty wasted and went to a club which was really quiet but has the potential to be amazing when busy. It was open aired, ust a bar, couches around the beach and huge speakers.

6TH DAY

Wake up, Bend spews, surprise surprise, haha. It is cloudy today which is a relief to be honest as we feel pretty rough. Get shouted at in Spanish by some midget woman when we slept way way past check-out time (wait till she finds out we took the couch onto our balcony and it got saked when there was a tropical storm!), then headed to the beach.

By the time we got to the bus station Bend was still being sick! Thats like 19 hours after he stopped drinking!

dawnalee says:
Plz post the places u stayed.
Posted on: Jan 28, 2014
Mishel23 says:
Second dads comment!! what a fab we website.x
Posted on: Oct 25, 2007
ashleegirl says:
woahhhhh you got such a massive arm !!!!are you popeye the sailor or the surfer??
nice surfing..
I hope your guyz feel good after the red back and such massive arm !!
Maritza Gh
Posted on: Oct 24, 2007
Me in Puerto Escondido
Our view in Puerto Escondido. Stun…
Our view in Puerto Escondido. Stu…
Our mountain of food we cooked
Fancy a change??
Fancy a change??
Our amazing Jenga game
Our amazing Jenga game
How we got our boards to the begin…
How we got our boards to the begi…