Palenque Travel Blog

BUS JOURNEY

Only 5 hours this time, woo!

I swear these buses are trying to kill me. We passed an overturned lorry, and a huge pile up on the way! To my right was a screaming kid, and I mean screaming! Behind me another kid who thought it was the best thing in the world to bang a metal pog off the floor. And the toilet was surrounded by spew!

DAY 1

Arrived at night, pretty tired. We went to El Panchan to stay and when I arrived all I could think was ´unbelievable´!

It is actually in the jungle and wandering around in the dark is pretty strange, noises all around and every thing that touches your foot makes you jump, fearing some sort of poisonous spider(well makes me jump at least, but I hate spiders!)

We eventually found an empty room, and after watching some girl fire-dance we went to bed, setting my alarm for 7:00am sharp so we could get to the Panenque ruins nice and early.

DAY 2

So the alarm went off, screaming in all its glory, and the snooze button was hit. 5 minutes later it started again, and this time the thing was turned off and thrown across the floor, haha.

Eventually got out of bed around 10:00am!

The ruins are mind blowing, and you can walk all over them and even through them. I couldnt help thinking that if it was in the UK it would all be blocked off, health and safety stickers everywhere and angry short men ready to shout at you if you stepped out of line. But hey, this is Mexico!

I would def recommend going to Palenque, it is truly amazing. Makes you wonder just how the hell the Mayan´s built them with no machinery, no mechanical tools and not even any metal!

When we went it was out of season and relatively quiet but we have been told in the summer they can get 6/7000 visitors a day. Not sure if it would have been so good if we were queing to get into the temples.

We are going to try and get to Calakmul next. It is more ruins and very remote! We have no idea how we are gnna do it but just booked a bus into the small town 100km away. The town has no bank, laundry, etc. It´s gonna be some adventure!!

Will obviously let you all know how it goes! Speak soon!

Mishel23 says:
This is amazing!! I can't quite believe you are really there seeing and doing all this!!

Am VERY VERY proud (aka jealous) of you.XX