Epilogue

54s
Total Ave
Speed: 14.4mph

Getting Back Home
I had a train ticket booked from Thurso to
Preston (where I would stay at my uni halls) but because I was a day early I couldn't use it.  I had got my bike picked up by a courier service so at least that was no longer a concern.  Brendon and Blair had hired a van to Inverness which could hold 7 people and they said that I could come with them and split the cost.  It turned out that there were seven people who were trying to get to Inverness so it ended up as being £35 each.  This was a little expensive but I decided to pay this than to spend a whole day in JOG where there is nothing to do.

In Inverness I thought that I would be able to catch a train to Edinburgh and then onto Preston, which was the route I would have taken the next day.  However I was told that I couldn't do this.  This was crazy because I had pied for a ticket (even though it was for the next day) and the train was no where near full.

So,  I had a day in Inverness, where I stayed at the youth hostel overnight.  Here I bumped into Martin, the chap that I had first met at Bridges about a week before.  He was riding into Inverness for a nights stop and had two days left before he reached JOG.  We went out to get something to eat and then had a few drinks and a good chat in the Pub.  It's amazing that after so many miles you can run into the same person twice.

The next day I caught the train back to Edinburgh and then onto Preston, which for once was on time.

After Thoughts
I had read many diaries of other people’s successful End to End rides and many of them said that there was an anti climax as they arrived in John O'Groats (or Lands End).  For me there was no anti climax.  It was amazing.  I had crashed, battled against day after day of headwinds, been soaked to the skin, covered 121 miles in a single day over the toughest terrain of the whole ride and planned and ridden the whole route on my own.  Anti climax? No chance.  Arriving in JOG was amazing.

I had seen some amazing sights on my way but for me, what made the trip were the people that I met along the way.  It made me realise how genuinely nice people can be.  For instance, the woman in Caputh who offered to make me sandwiches, or Brendon and Blair who I had dinner with in JOG.

Would I recommend Lands End to John O'Groats. YES!  It's achievable by anyone because you can make it as hard or easy as you want.  Along the way you see some amazing things and meet some amazing people.  Would I do it again?  Probably not.  Not because I didn't enjoy it, because I did.  It was one of the best things I have ever done.  But because I have completed this challenge now and there would have to be a very good reason for me to want to do it again.  Now I have to attempt something bigger and harder.

So, what next?  The obvious one would be coast to coast of the US, or perhaps Canada, or maybe top to bottom of New Zealand. We'll see...

-------------------------------------

If anybody is interested I have also got a whole section on my website on my ride and it includes route maps and a more detailed diary.
It can be found here.

TYoungTX says:
Congratulations Dan on completing this journey. I really enjoyed reading about your adventures along the way. It's remarkable that you did this so quickly and without support. I'm most impressed.

Let me know when you are ready to tackle NZ!

Cheers,