Day 9: Caputh - Fort William

The Day It Rained For The First Time

Distance: 96.3 miles
Ride Time: 7h 6m 19s
Ave Speed: 13.5mph

I had a whole loaf of freshly baked bread waiting for me when I woke up.  I sat eating what I could of it chatting to a couple who were using the hostel as a base to do some cycling from.  I couldn't finish the whole loaf and the woman offered to make me sandwiches with the rest of it.  I couldn't believe how kind she was and the sandwiches were great to have along the way.

I set off at 9:45 into yet another headwind, although not as strong as the previous day.  I followed a cycle path from near Caputh which at first had a tarmac surface.  This soon turned to a stony surface and at one point it was just sand.

View across the highlands
  It's impossible to ride a road bike on deep, dry sand and I toppled straight over.  Of course it didn't hurt (and no one was looking so my pride was also left unhurt) but it was hardly the ideal way for a cycle path to go.  I was getting fed up with the quality of the cycle path so I did the last few miles to Pitlochy on the busy A9 road.

It started to rain fairly soon after I left the hostel for the first time since I started this trip.  I would get heavy showers throughout the rest of the day.

I found NCN 7 after Pitlochy which was again a very poor surface that was totally unsuitable for a road bike.  I stayed on it for the best part of 15 miles thinking that the A9 would be very busy.  However the surface got so bad that I was sure to puncture and I decided to use the A9, which turned out to not be too bad.

The final 20 miles or so into Fort William seemed to take forever and I felt that I had no power in my legs at all.  Luckily large sections of this road were downhill, although I still had to pedal thanks to the wind.

I had a B&B booked for tonight and it was on the top of the steepest hill of the whole trip!  I arrived at 18:45, much earlier than I had expected to.  I had the biggest meal of the whole trip in Fort William - Cod, chips and steak pie (not small portions either).

Drumochter Summet