Day 8: Edinburgh - Caputh

The Day With The Forth Road Bridge

Distance: 74 miles
Ride Time: 5h 38m 30s
Ave Speed: 13.1mph

I initially found my way to the Forth Road Bridge easily enough and I was on the right road heading straight towards it.

Forth Road Bridge
  However, there was a sign that said cyclists and pedestrians couldn't continue along the road that I was on.  The road seemed perfectly safe to me so I ignored this one but then there was a huge sign with warning triangles on so I thought I had better obey it otherwise I might get into trouble.  So, I had to take the slip road off the main road that I was on and ended up in a small town with no signposts to where I was going.  I eventually found a National Cycle Network sign that pointed to the Forth Road bridge and this took me on an off road route.  I felt sure that I would get a puncture but my tires held up.  Unfortunately this route was closed at one point due to renovation works and there were no diversion signs so I was once again lost.  I decided that the best thing to do would be to ride down to the coast then try and work my way onto the bridge.  Eventually I found and crossed it but by this time I was really annoyed with the lack of signposts and directions and I had wasted at least an hour.

Once into Wales the plan was to follow NCN 1 and I did for a bit but once again the signposting was appalling and I was left in a little village in the middle of nowhere.

The Forth Bridges
  Because I was following what should have been a well signposted route I had not been looking at my map and now that the signposts had run out I had no idea where I was.  I just rode around in random directions until I found a main road at which point I was able to work out where I was.

Towards the end of the day I passed the Meikleour Beach hedge.  This is the worlds bigges hedge and stands 120 feet at its highest and runs for 580ft.  It's hardly the most spectacular sight in the world but it was interesting to see.

There was a strong headwind or sometimes crosswind all day which made for very hard going.  I was hoping that this would be an easy day, giving me a chance to recover after a couple of long hard days.  This was not the case though and even though it was a fairly short day with very little climbing I found this the hardest day yet.

This was also mentally the lowest day of the whole ride.  The wind was really taking it out of me and I was beginning to worry that I physically wouldn't be able to manage the next day, which was more than 90 miles long compared with only 70 today.

There was nowhere to get a hot meal from tonight so I walked about a mile to a Spar and got a selection of food there (sausage rolls, pork pies, fruit etc.)

On the Forth Road Bridge
Wester Caputh hostel
Wester Caputh hostel
Caputh Hostels review
Wester Caputh Lodge & House
This is a really nice family run independent sottish hostel. I was received with a warm welcome and had a whole room to myself. There were laundry f… read entire review
Caputh