Day 6: Preston - Carlisle

The Day With The Lake District

Distance: 94.2 miles
Ride Time: 6h 28m 52s
Ave Speed: 14.5mph

I left Preston just before 10:00 and followed the A6 to and through Lancaster.  I know this road very well as I do much of my training around here.  Most of the time there is a tailwind going north and it is easy to roll along at 20mph or more along this road.  Today I had a headwind.  It was not too bad and I got to Lancaster fairly quickly and there had been no hills yet.

Once I hit Kendle the road surface deteriorated and the hills started.  I began to suffer here and my right hamstring/calf was causing me a bit of trouble as was my right knee.  I had discovered that it was really bruised and I think that I must have banged it on the frame or handle bar of my bike when I crashed as it was not grazed so it presumably wasn't caused by an impact with the ground.

Entering Cumbria

I climbed up Kirkstone pass which is not the most difficult of the passes in the Lake District but with tired legs it was very tough.  The descent was very fast and I had caught a car up by the time I got to the bottom.  I continued to Glenridding then stopped for food and drink.  I felt like I was overheating and this was causing me to feel a little sick so I had an ice cream to help cool me down.  There were a couple of climbs from Glenridding but it was mainly downhill into Carlisle.

I had a B&B booked for tonight as the youth hostel was not open at this time of year.  I went out for a pub meal and watched the first half of a Euro 2008 game (can't remember which one) before going to bed feeling very tired.

Entering The Lake District
Entering The Lake District
The Lake District - Ullswater
The Lake District - Ullswater
Ouch!
Ouch!
This is what I was greeted with wh…
This is what I was greeted with w…
Carlisle