Day 5: Bridges - Preston

The Day With The A49

Distance: 104.2 miles
Ride Time: 6h 25m 20s
Ave Speed: 16.2mph

I woke up feeling very good after yesterdays easy day and once again the weather was sunny and warm.  I hadn't planned to but I decided to ride over Long Mynd.  It was a fairly long but not too steep climb to the top and once up there I was rewarded with fantastic views, probably the best since Lizard Point four days ago.  The descent was very technical and there were sheer drops to the side.  I took it easy and was on the breaks almost all the way down to Church Stretton.

From Church Stretton I found my way onto the A49 and just followed it north.

View from Long Mynd
  I had planned to take minor and B roads that ran next to the A49 thinking the main road would be really busy and unpleasant to ride on.  However, there was only light traffic so I decided to stay on the A49.  I got to Warrington fairly quickly but then it was slow going due to all the roundabouts and traffic lights.  I'm sure that traffic lights can sense when a cyclist is coming and immediately change to red!  Riding through such built up areas did not seem dangerous and I had no problems with bad driving here.

When I was nearly in Preston I had to wait 10 minutes at a roundabout because there had been a motorcycle accident and the Police had blocked it off.  I could have found an alternative route but that would probably have added at least an extra 10 miles onto my journey and I was getting very tired by this point.

Tonight I stayed in Preston at my university halls of residence and washed my clothes for the first and last time on the trip.

I was expecting an easy day today due to the flat terrain (after Long Mynd).  However, due to a constant headwind it was tough going and I had to ride fairly hard.  I was also getting quite bad pains in the bottom of my right hamstring and top of my calf which meant I had to soft pedal with that leg on occasion.

The descent from Long Mynd
The descent from Long Mynd
Entering Shrewsbury
Entering Shrewsbury
Entering Cheshire
Entering Cheshire
There were lots of canals in this …
There were lots of canals in this…
Entering Lancashire