Day 4: Welsh Bicknor - Bridges

The Day of No Events

Distance: 67.9miles
Ride Time: 4h 57m 56s
Ave Speed: 13.6mph

I felt awful when I woke up and a little sick.  I think that the last few days had really taken a lot out of me.  Thankfully I knew that I was in for a fairly short day today.  I packed my bags then went to have breakfast.  However, it was groups only till 08:30 (obviously they are more important here than individuals!).  Not that it really mattered because I was not in any rush to get going but it was annoying that I had to hang around with nothing to do.  Anyway, I had breakfast then got going at about 09:50.

A bright red bug on my wheel when I stopped to check my map.

The road from the youth hostel is unmade and not at all road bike friendly.  I had no power in my legs at all, presumably from not eating the night before.  At Hereford I stopped at a service station and ate a sandwich, a whole pack of biscuits and a can of red bull and as I sat munching my way through this mini feast I could feel myself waking up a little.  A man in a truck pulled up at the petrol station and asked what I was doing.  He told me that he and three others had done the end to end some years back and also climbed the three peaks on the way (Snowdon, Scafell Pike & Ben Nevis).  He was one of many people who I would run into that had done or were doing the end to end and it was always nice to speak to these people.

I gradually felt better as the day went on and due to the short distance that I had to cover and the fact that the youth hostel at Bridges did not open till 17:00 I just rolled along at a slow pace and making frequent stops.  I arrived at Bridges just before it opened and was not at all tired.  After three tough days it was nice to have an easy day and hopefully I should feel quite fresh tomorrow.

My parents do not live far away from Bridges so they came over with my younger brother and we had a meal at a nearby pub, which was nice.

At the youth hostel I met a guy named Martin who was also doing End to End and would arrive in JOG a few days after me.  We had a good chat and as it would turn out I would bump into him again later.

Entering Hereford
A bright red bug on my wheel when …
A bright red bug on my wheel when…
Entering Shropshire
Entering Shropshire
Shropshire countryside
Shropshire countryside
DANGER! (of what Im not sure)
DANGER! (of what I'm not sure)
Bridges Hostels review
Bridges Youth Hostel (Long Mynd)
Bridges youth hostel, located in the Long Mynd area is a fantastic little hostel. This is an ideal location for walkers as the Shropshire Way passes … read entire review
photo by: tridantri