Day 2: Boscastle - Minehead

The Day With The Crash

Distance: 86.3 miles
Ride Time: 5h 39m 35s
Ave Speed: 15.25mph

I woke up feeling like I had been run over by a truck and thinking that it was going to be a very tough day as there was still plenty of climbing to be done.  The youth hostel didn't do breakfast so I went to a hotel just up the road and had a full English there then went to the bakery for a scone and fruit cake.

I left at about 10:00 and it was a long uphill right from the off.  I was in bottom gear and grinding my way up.  I felt awful.  I made it to the A39 which at first was a fast road but as soon as the hills started I was struggling big time.

A quick stop on the cycle path into Barnstable
  I stopped just after midday at a service station for food and drink and this revived me a little.  I had planned to stop at Elmscott youth hostel on my second day but this was only about 35 miles from Boscastle so I thought I may as well just push on to what was supposed to be my 3rd nights stop, Minehead, putting myself a day ahead of schedule.

I had not planned to but I took a cycle path into Barnstable.  I had ridden it on holiday once and I happened to see a sign for it and knowing it was flat and fast I decided to follow it into Barnstable rather that taking the main road.

Me
  I found the right road out of Barnstable easily and climbed up to Exmore Forest.  This area was nice, although not as scenic as I thought it would be.

About 20miles out from Minehead I was descending at about 25mph.  A farmer shot out from a gap between the hedges on a quad bike right into my path.  There was no time to break and on a narrow country land nowhere to swerve to.  Bang.  He smashed into me, hitting the side of my bike.  I was on the ground in the blink of an eye and sliding across the tarmac.  My first though was that if my bike was damaged then my ride was over - a ride that I had had planned for nearly 4 years.  I jumped up and checked my bike over.  Initially I thought the front wheel was buckled but it turned out the breaks had just been knocked to the side so that one of the pads rubbed against the wheel.

On the new bridge into Barnstable
  A quick adjustment solved this problem.  My bike seemed alright so I turned my attention to myself.  I had some road rash on my left knee and both forearms.  It stung but it was nothing that would prevent me from riding.  I then discovered that one side of my pannier had ripped open.  The farmer gave me some rope which I was able to secure the pannier with as he apologised profusely.  Save your apologies, just LOOK next time your prick!

I cautiously rode my was to the youth hostel at Minehead partly because the incident had shaken me up a little and partly because I was scared that the bike had been damaged and would give way at any minute, causing me to come off again.  I'd checked it over but a something like a crack in the frame or wheel could easily have gone unnoticed.

I had fish and chips for tea then went to bed.

TYoungTX says:
Oh, I felt the pain of the crash as I was reading your entry! That is one of my biggest fears when riding. Glad you and your bike were not banged up too badly.
Posted on: Jun 17, 2008
Entering Devon
A quick stop on the cycle path int…
A quick stop on the cycle path in…
Entering Exmore National Park