Day 12: Tongue - John O'Groats

John O'Groats Travel Blog

The road alond the north coast of Scotland

The Day I Completed My Dream

Distance: 70.8 miles
Ride Time: 4h 44m 51s
Ave Speed: 14.9mph

I left at 9:00 because I was a little worried that I wouldn't make it to John O'Groats in time to have an official photograph by the signpost.  The ride to Thurso was a little hilly but I was making fairly good time.

Just outside Thurso I met a father and son (Brendon & Blair) in a petrol station.  They were completing their LEJOG ride today and had stopped for food like me.  We had a quick chat and then pressed on.  We left the petrol station at just the wrong time because we got caught in a very heavy shower just as we left.

Dunnet Head

The road from Thurso was flat and fast and knowing that I didn't have to ride tomorrow I just rode as hard as I could, and after 11 days on the road I felt surprising good.  I rode out to Dunnet Head (most northerly point of mainland Britain) which was four miles from the road that I was on.  Riding uphill and into the head wind it took half an hour to get out there.  It took no more than 10 minutes on the way back.  The views were nice from Dunnet Head although I didn't stop for long because it was too cold and I was eager to get to JOG.

I went all out for the last 12 miles to JOG and arrived with a huge smile on my face and nothing else left to give.  I wanted to have my picture taken in the same clothes that I left in (shorts and short sleeved jersey).  It was freezing but I stripped down quickly for the photo, which we got done just before it started raining.

I didn't really look around JOG much because I was too cold and once again it was poring with rain.

Entering JOG
  I had a quick chat to a woman who had walked from Lands End in about 3 months - an amazing achievement.

I met up again with Brendon and Blair and we sat in the cafe drinking Tea for about three hours - I arrived at 14:15 and the youth hostel didn't open till 17:00.  The two people that I had met in Inverness also turned up in the cafe and it was nice to share stories of our journey.

We had to ride 2.5 miles to the youth hostel, which seemed like the longest 2.5 miles of the trip.  Mother nature also decided that we would be rained on for one last time too.

That evening I went to a local pub for a meal and a few celebratory pints with Brendon and Blair as we tried to take in what we had achieved.

The road alond the north coast of …
The road alond the north coast of…
At the signpost
At the signpost
JOG youth hostel
JOG youth hostel
John O'Groats Hostels review
John O'Groats Youth Hostel
John O’Groats youth hostel is located a couple of miles from the coast, the most north easterly point of mainland Britain. This makes it the last o… read entire review
John O'Groats