Day 11: Inverness - Tongue

Tongue Travel Blog

First signpost to JOG. I would be covering nearly 160 miles though.

The Day I Was Nearly Blown Back To Lands End

Distance: 88.7 miles
Ride Time: 6h 56m 57s
Ave Speed: 12.7mph

I slept badly last night due to a chorus of snorers but thankfully I didn't feel too tired in the morning.  Knowing that I would have the wind in my face all day I set of earlier than usual, at about 9:00.  As I was about to leave I met to gentlemen who were also doing LEJOG.  They said that they saw me a couple of days ago, although I hadn't seen them.  They were going around east coast, via Helmsdale rather than through the middle like me and arriving in JOG the same day as me.

I nearly missed the bridge out of Inverness that crosses the Beauly Firth and I could see it in the distance as I was running parallel to it.

Bridge into Lairg
  If I'd have carried on I would have gone right round the mouth of the river rather than across it, adding lots of extra miles.  I backtracked and crossed the bridge.

There was a strong headwind and heavy showers and as I was approaching Lairg (about halfway to Tongue) I was contemplating that I might not make it to Tongue today.  I had the option of taking an extra day as I was a day ahead of schedule but I really didn't want to.  I saw a sign that said 37 miles to Tongue and I thought that I would make it, evan at 10mph it would only be 4 hours.

I managed to settle into a rhythm after Lairg and it was not too bad, although the wind had reduced me to a crawl.  The biggest problem I had was that I was soaked through and if I stopped for more than half a minute or so I would get very cold.  Therefore I had to eat and drink on the move and couldn't take any breaks to rest my legs.

The sun came out as I was approaching Tongue and I saw the sea for the first time.  The scenery was beautiful here.

TYoungTX says:
Sounds like this was a grueling day!
Posted on: Jun 18, 2008
First signpost to JOG.  I would be…
First signpost to JOG. I would b…
Tongue youth hostel
Tongue youth hostel
Tongue Hostels review
Tongue Youth Hostel
This hostel is located on the north coast of Scotland just outside the main village of Tongue. The hostel is very friendly and they home bake various… read entire review
Tongue