Day 10: Fort William - Inverness

The Day With The Search For Nessi

Distance: 63.6 miles
Ride Time: 4h 43m 50s
Ave Speed: 13.4mph

I walked down to the Spar in the morning to stock up on food.  I was feeling very tired this morning and drank a can of Red Bull, which revved me a little.  After having breakfast I left at about 10:00 and retraced my steps to Spean Bridge, covering the 10 miles in about 40 minutes.  After a quick break here I pushed onto Fort Augustus before having another stop for lunch.

Loch Lochy

Here I had a choice of taking the A road down the west side of Loch Ness or taking the B road down the east side.  I knew that there would be a huge climb on the B road but I decided to take it anyway because it would avoid traffic and I should get some really good views.

The climb was long and steep and I struggled up it, mostly in bottom gear.  On the top the views were great so it was well worth it.  And, what goes up must come down - the descent was fast and long.  As the road turned to run parallel to Loch Ness it was rolling terrain and I was making fairly good time along here.

I arrived in Inverness at about 16:00 after an easy day on the bike.  I didn't really like this youth hostel much as it didn't seem as well kept as some of the others.

I was caring a pair of flip flops on top of my panniers so that I had something on my feet in the evenings (cycling shoes with cleats are ruined by walking on them, not to mention the fact that they are really uncomfortable to walk in).  Unfortunately they must have fallen out somewhere along the way today.  I knew that I would find a pair in Inverness so I tramped into the town centre bare foot in search of some flip flops.  I got a few funny looks but I didn't care.  I eventually found some that weren't too expensive then went to Morrisons to get food for an evening meal.

First view of Loch Ness
Inverness Castle
Inverness Castle
Inverness youth hostel
Inverness youth hostel
As I was eating my lunch nessi was…
As I was eating my lunch nessi wa…
Inverness Hostels review
Inverness Youth hostel
This hostel is located about 5 minutes walk away from the main city centre. The hostel is fairly big so there are plenty of people around to chat to.… read entire review
Inverness