Day 1: Lands End - Boscastle

The Day With An Extra 51 Miles

Distance: 121 miles
Ride Time: 8h 13m 52s
Ave Speed: 14.7mph

I rode the 5 miles from the youth hostel to Lands End with a chap that was also starting that day.  I also met a guy who was doing it on a motorcycle in 3 days.  I had the official photograph done at the signpost and then took some pictures of my own.  It was a lovely day, sunny, warm and there was a favourable wind.

At 09:50 the adventure began.  Riding down to Penzance then down to Lizzard Point was easy going.

Lands End
  I had been warned about the hills down in Cornwall and Devon (very steep and lots of them) but as I sat down for a break at Lizzard Point I was left wondering what all the fuss was about.  I would soon see.  Lizzard Point was beautiful with amazing views out to sea and down the coast.  I left Lizzard Point just after midday, after applying another layer of suncream.  One of the minor roads that I had planned to take on the way to the north coast of Cornwall was closed and navigating country lanes with a 1:250,000 scale road map is not easy.  I happened to see a signpost that said 9.5miles to Falmouth, a harbour town that I knew very well.
  This was a little out of my way but I was feeling really good so I thought I would take a detour and have a pasty at
Falmouth harbour.  It was lovely.

I then started making my way to Perranporth, which was supposed to be my destination for the day.  This is when the hills really started.  Up, down, up down, repeat.  Flat ground does not exist.  The road either goes up or down.  I was really noticing how much the extra weight of my panniers were slowing me down and made even the shallowest of hills much harder that they otherwise would be.  I was carrying the bare minimum of equipment (I didn't even have a towl - I just drip dried after a shower) and felt very sorry for people who were carrying huge, fully packed panniers.

Navigation was easy enough as I made my way through Redruth then onto Perranporth.

Lands End
  There was a huge climb in the final few miles to Perranporth but I just span an easy gear and slowly worked my way to the top.  I arrived at Perranporth youth hostel, from which there were magnificent views along the coast at about 17:00.  It was full.

I could have just stayed in a B&B but I was still feeling fairly fresh and combined with my level of excitement from finally starting this trip and the good weather I thought I could make it to another youth hostel a way up the coast.  Before I left Perranporth I rang ahead and found that there were spaces at Boscastle youth hostel.  Off I set but it was much further than I thought.  I flew down the final descent into Boscastle and stepped of my bike to discover that I was shaking and could hardly walk.  I had planned to cover about 70miles today, which would have eased me into the ride nicely.  I had actually ridden 121mile over what is considered to be the toughest terrain of the whole ride.

Lying in bed that night I was a little worried that I might have just jeopardised my whole ride by overdoing it on the first day.  Tomorrow could be a tough day.

Signpost at Lands End
The Lizzard
The Lizzard
Lizzard Point
Lizzard Point
Lizzard Point - the most southerly…
Lizzard Point - the most southerl…
Looking south from Lizzard Point