New York

New York Travel Blog

• USA (East Coast)
    New York: Lots going on. Lots to do. Spent just over a week here in total.
    Philadelphia: Nice city. Nice Old Town. Not a great deal to do.
    Washington D.C.: Great place to visit. BIG. The Whitehouse. Good museums. I went to the 110th Congress in the Capitol Building. Really interesting seeing legislation in the making.
    Catskill Mountains (New York State): Very pretty with the Autumnal trees.

CANADA
    Niagara Falls, Ontario: Fabulous! (even despite the hype)
    Kitchener,Ontario: Met up with and stayed with relatives. Had a great time and was lovely catching up.
    Toronto: Nice city. Met some really fun, genuine people which made my stay there.
    Vancouver: Beautiful, despite the rain! Lovely to catch up with an old friend there.
    Vancouver Island (Victoria): Again, really pretty (despite the rain). Went whale watching around the nearby islands...saw a pod of about 40 killer whales (Orcas). Also went diving there in water that was 5 degrees. Have never been so cold!

USA (WEST)
    Seattle: Liked it here. Very chilled. Visited Bruce & Brandon Lee´s graves as well as Jimi Hendrix´s in Renton..near Seattle. A little sad of me perhaps!
    San Francisco: Only here 2 days but liked what I saw. Nice bay area. Lots of seals! And I got to do the Alcatraz prison tour..have wanted to go since I saw my childhood hero Clint Eastwood in ´Escape from Alcatraz´
    Yosemite National Park (California): Lovely scenery. Would have like to have camped out here for a few days but got fed up with the rain!
    Las Vegas: Spent 5 days here which was enough. Brilliant fun though. And I came out with more money than I arrived with!
    Grand Canyon: Met a group of people in Vegas who had hired a car. I jumped in with them & we did a road trip for a few days. Went across Utah and Arizona, Route 66 (Highway), stopped off at a few viewpoints at the Grand Canyon, stayed in a lovely little town (Flagstaff) before heading to San Diego...arriving just as 500,000 people were being evacuated because of the forest fires! We arrived at night time to an orange glow hovering above San Diego.
    San Diego: Stayed at the beach the first night. Then downtown in the Gaslamp area for the rest of my time there. Really liked San Diego. Chilled, neat place. Went to some good parties! Popped over to Tijuana, Mexico for the day. Good for drinking when bars shut in San Diego but otherwise, not worth bothering with.
    Los Angeles: Heard lots of bad things about LA but it was fine. Some nice places but too pretentious for my liking. Stayed at Venice Beach and Arcadia. Went to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the usual. I got to see some of the ´Desperate Housewives´ set (not all - they were filming) Wicked!!

HAWAI'I
    Honolulu (Oahu): Found a flight so cheap it was hard to resist. Nice place but shame America got its hands on it. Spent a night in Waikiki before heading up to the North Shore - much nicer. Very chilled. Surf was massive! They had a pro surf comp on too which was fun to watch.
    The Big Island (Hawai´i): Big, as the name suggests. Really interesting visits to the volcanos. East coast was quiet & had a nice vibe. West coast was too touristy for my liking but I did the best dive ever! A night dive with manta rays spanning 12 foot, coming so close they brushed across the top of my head! Definitely a highlight of the trip.
    Maui (Hawai´i): Stayed in a quaint little hippy town near to world famous surf and windsurf spots.

Kauai (Hawaii): Probably the prettiest of the islands. Stunning scenery. Hiked along Ne pali coast. Photos on Facebook.