the world gets smaller

Prague Travel Blog

St Nicholas church in Old Town Square
I arrived in Prague on Friday afternoon, and was quickly fooled into thinking it was pleasantly warm here (I was carrying all my bags, wearing my big jacket & walking down the street with the sun shining).  I soon found out this was just lulling me into a false sense of warmness, and actually it's FREEZING!

I'm staying @ Sir Toby's hostel, which is out of the city in a very non-touristy area - so it's interesting seeing that less-beautiful side of Prague (but the hostel is fabulous).  On Saturday I attempted to go on a free walking tour, but arrived a little late & missed it.  I was already indulging in feeling miserable that day, add to that I really thought I might lose some extremities in the cold, and suddenly I had to make a new plan for the day.
Prague Castle across the river
.. it looked like a recipe for disaster.

But I wandered around Old Town Square a bit, looked in a few shops, bought some thermal leggings, and eventually walked up Petrin Hill, which was covered with stunning Autumn trees & criss-crossing paths.  There is a mini-Eiffel Tower at the top, which presented some nice views over Prague, but the really entertaining thing was the faux-museum in the basement: it's supposedly an exhibition about this guy who invented all these things & had all these great achievements, and the more you read the (funny) captions you realise that it's all quite ridiculous & it's a joke.  Very very entertaining.

On Sunday I actually managed to make it to the free walking tour (just), and we spent about four hours walking through Prague, seeing the Old Town Square, the Jewish Quarter, the Castle, the John Lennon Wall (yes, really), and plenty more.  Hillary, an Aussie girl from the hostel, was also on the tour & we ended up spending the rest of the afternoon together - just more wandering & thawing out drinking coffee & finding out we probably were in some of the same lectures at uni... (did I mention that the world is a small place?)
St Nicholas church in Old Town Squ…
St Nicholas church in Old Town Sq…
looking down Petrin Hill