the ultimate walled city

Dubrovnik Travel Blog

Dubrovnik
Joy of joys, somehow I managed to find the hostel in Dubrovnik without any problems!  And really a map won't help you out in Croatia - often what looks like a street on a map will really be a hidden laneway, or in this case, a skinny set of stairs.  Lonely Planet said of the hostel "don't expect to get a lot of sleep, but you'll have a lot of fun".  The atmosphere was more like an empty hospital, but it's true I didn't get a lot of sleep the first night - due to the loudest, most guttural snoring I have ever heard (I wouldn't have thought a woman could make that sort of noise), coupled with another girl who kept yelling at her to stop snoring.

Aaanyway... I spent two days exploring Dubrovnik.
sunset in Dubrovnik
  Once again there was stunning sunshine (I am so loving sunny Croatia), although there was a bit of a chilly breeze.  The old town of Dubrovnik is an impressive walled city, right on the water, lovely old stone buildings (suffered a lot during the 90s war).  I took a fabulous walk around the top of the walls - nice views over the jumble of buildings within the walls, and stunning views out over the water.

I went up to Fort Lovrijenac - just outside the city walls & it took lots of exploring tiny side streets to work out how to get there - once again stunning ocean & views over the city.  I also went to the Museum of Modern Art, where they had an exhibition of Great 20th Century Photographers, as well as Croatian paintings from their collection.

But the beauty of these old cities really is just rambling through the tiny streets and laneways, and soaking up the sunshine, and being soothed by the sea.

photo by: benwielenga