the tower that leans

Pisa Travel Blog

The Leaning Tower of Pisa

Today we got up supposedly early to head out for a quick morning trip to Pisa.  I went with a two other girls staying at the hostel, Reena & Linsey.

Pisa is a little over an hour on the train from Florence, and when we got there the sun was shining brighter, and the streets were quieter, and the whole town seemed more open than Florence.  There was a nice walk of about 20mins, and then we saw the tower… and it really does lean.

I still find it quite bizarre to have seen something over & over again in photos & film & books, and then to see it in real life and see that that really is how it is.

pretending to hold up the tower - oh so original!
  After our initial wonderment at this famed tower, we started our photo shoot, which lasted a couple of hours.

We were determined to get that perfect shot that made it look like we were holding up the tower… well we tried from every different angle around the tower & spent ages going "hand a little to the left, other hand out, tilt your fingers, take a step forward…"  Reena was particularly particular about getting the perfect photo, so it was tough work.

Eventually even Reena was worn out, and we headed back to Florence (the rumour is that there's not much else to see in Pisa other than the tower & the neighbouring cathedral - both of which were very pretty, and worth the trip).

I spent the afternoon at the Uffizi gallery, which in the high season can have a wait in line of over two hours, but I was only in line less than half an hour.  All the greats are there - Botticelli, Michelangelo, Da Vinci, and plenty of other artists too.  I did start to feel that if I saw one more "Adoration of the Christ Child", I might actually scream or punch or at least roll my eyes (they weren't so big on variety back in the 16th century).

The Leaning Tower of Pisa
pretending to hold up the tower - …
pretending to hold up the tower -…
photo by: jsuuronen