snow & mountains & hiking & bliss

Gimmelwald Travel Blog

from Murren

Well since I stayed one extra day, why not another?  Although these weren't actually extra days really, since my original plan had been to spend a couple of nights up in little Gimmelwald - a plan I gave up on because of the weather, but I thought I'd at least do a little day-trip to check it out.  Multiple people had recommended Gimmelwald, a tiny little village perched on the edge of a mountain - there's a Mountain Hostel there, which probably has some of the most fabulous views you'll ever get in a hostel.

I caught the train/cable car/train up to Mürren (1645m) and then walked all the way back down to Lauterbrunnen (796m) via Gimmelwald and Stechelberg.

looking down on Gimmelwald
  It was about four hours walking all up, with plenty of photo stops, and all down hill of course!

When I got up to Mürren the clouds were swirling all around, blending in to the snow-covered ground all around, but as I walked down to Gimmelwald I suddenly reached a point where I just walked out from under the clouds & all was clear!  Gimmelwald itself was adorable, and the hostel I was going to stay at looked really nice, and even with the clouds obstructing the tops of the mountains, the views were stunning.

Technically the path from Gimmelwald to Stechelberg is a red-&-white path, meaning you should have proper hiking boots (why would I bother with silly suggestions like that?  At least it wasn't a blue-&-white path, meaning you need serious mountain-climbing equipment [and experience, presumably] - I'm not that silly), and parts of it were steep-ish, and covered with snow, but it really wasn't that bad.  Then when I got to the end of my descent at Stechelberg, there was a tape across the path & a sign saying "way closed".  (Not sure why - I didn't come across anything that was particularly dangerous).  Pity no one mentioned that at the other end!

From Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen was a nice flat stroll along the valley, but by the end of it all I was definitely ready to sit down for a while!

a snowy stream