not quite what I expected...

Pompeii Travel Blog

a Pompei snack bar
Once again it was time to visit one of these essential stops on the tourist route.  I had been thinking of just spending my first day in Napoli wandering around exploring, and heading to Pompei the next day, but a few people from the hostel were going & it's always more fun with other people.

We were going to go up Vesuvius as well as visiting the ruins, as Paulina (Aussie girl I spent the day with) had her heart set on it, but once we got in to Pompei & opened the map, we realised that it was much larger than we'd expected & we ended up spending the entire day within the ruins.

It was quite different to what I expected, almost a let-down really, just because the hype you hear is all about how the entire city was amazingly preserved, including people doing exactly what they were doing when the volcano erupted etc.
frescoes in the Villa of Mysteries
.. but really there's no more obvious signs of daily life than in many other ruins.  The few "bodies" that we saw were all in glass cases & all of people sort of lying down or cowering - I guess I had this vague thought that people doing exactly what they were doing would be people sitting around the dinner table or brushing their hair or whatever (because of course when there's molten lava rushing towards you, you would just continue sitting around the dinner table).

The way they discovered & made the casts of the bodies was quite fascinating though, and the extent of the buildings uncovered is impressive.  And I'm sure from an archaeological perspective it's amazing & fascinating.  It's just funny these pictures we develop in our heads when we've heard about something our whole lives, and how different the reality can be.
Pompeii