so long, farewell... (really truly this time)

London Travel Blog

One flight from Spain to London, one shuttle bus from the airport to the train station, one train from Luton to Farringdon, one tube from Farringdon to Liverpool St, one train from Liverpool St to Colchester... and I was at my destination!

I would've loved to visit more people around England, but I only had a few days, so those nearest London won the prize!  I spent Sat & Sun back in Colchester with Jen & Lee.  Jen & I looked through hundreds of camp photos and talked about camp for hours and hours (Lee left us to it!).  And we just generally chilled out and had fun with cocktails & board games on Saturday night.

Then it was back down to London, to stay with Steve, & to close bank accounts, & to pick up my old camera, & sort out various other things.  Monday night I caught up with Soph, which was heaps of fun as always - and made me quite sad to say goodbye.  Tuesday was pack pack pack, lunch with Annelle - also great to catch up - and then out to sit around at the airport for hours (since you have to be there however many hours early, plus it was delayed for two).

But when we finally took off, I actually felt quite sad looking out over the lights of London - I wiped away one little tear.  It was "home" for six months, and I've been back there a couple of times (it's always comforting to return somewhere), and I've left behind some really good friends.  As over-dramatic as it may seem, I don't know when I'll see them again - I know there's email & Facebook & people travel much more these days than they used to, but... The downside to making friends all over the world, is that then they're all over the world!

I still don't quite feel that I really am saying goodbye to this nomadic life, and am actually going to see all my friends & family in Australia very soon.  It's probably going to take me a while to adjust, but I'm looking forward to it...
photo by: ulysses