the hills are alive...

Salzburg Travel Blog

Salzburg
...with The Sound of Music.  Well, not literally, and in fact really Mozart is more famous here than Julie Andrews, but let's not get picky.

Firstly, finishing off in Vienna.  My last day there I took a wander over to Oberes Belvedere (Upper Belvedere museum) - full of mostly 19th/20th century art, lots of Austrian artists, and includes Gustav Klimt's "The Kiss".  It was a very pleasant morning.  And then I wandered back to the hostel, and jumped on a train to Salzburg.  Train travel in this country is quite expensive AND the only option - they're very environmentally friendly, so if a train serves the route then there are no bus alternatives.
what a tour bus!

So Salzburg.  This morning I took a stroll through the old town area, criss-crossing across the river.  The scenery is really stunning with a little snow on the surrounding mountains and the fiery autumn trees.  Plus all the old buildings, and castles and fortresses on top of cliffs - it's beautiful here.

This afternoon I embraced kitsch & cheese & my inner tourist and took The Original Sound of Music Tour.  And it really was a lot of fun.  We drove around past various sights within Salzburg - the back of the house where they fall in the lake, the front of the house (completely different places of course), the abbey, the gazebo.  And then we headed out into the lake area - lots of beautiful mountain scenery - and on to Mondsee where there's the church they get married in & various other places glimpsed in the movie.  We finished at the gardens where they run around singing "Do, Re, Mi" - although it was already dark by then because daylight savings changed here today, but I'd actually walked through them earlier anyway.

We learnt lots of interesting trivia, and some of the differences between the movie & the real story, and we listened to songs along the way of course.  I don't think I could cope with a get-off-the-bus, take-a-photo, get-on-the-bus type tour all the time, but it was a fun afternoon.
photo by: travpro11