EuropeItalyBari

crossing the Adriatic Sea

Bari Travel Blog

To get from Croatia to Italy I jumped on a ferry and sailed across the Adriatic Sea.  I do love ferries - I mean I just love water in general, and boats are such a pleasant way to travel.  Although I didn't really see much of the sea as the ferry left Dubrovnik @ 11pm and got in to Bari in Italy at 8am.

I just had a "deck" ticket, meaning no cabin, make good with what you can find.  Another couple staying at the hostel were also taking the ferry, so we all went downt here together & claimed a table/booth in the lounge area.  They had sleeping bags etc so actually slept outside on the benches!  I just followed everybody else's lead & popped a chair at the end of the seat/bench - making it possible to stretch right out - and in the end I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of sleep I got.  The main problem was I was using my day-pack as a pillow, which as it's full of books & cameras & whatever, wasn't exactly cushiony.

When we got off in Bari there was no information or signs or maps, but there was an assortment of about 6 people with backpacks all trying to work out how to get to the train station.  So we all set out together (one sensible person had a map), walked right along the port/harbour only to be told we couldn't exit that way & apparently there was a pedestrian exit hidden somewhere near the terminal.  So our 15 minute walk to the train station became about 30 mins - along the way we added a couple more people to the group & then lost a few, so that by the end there were only four of us (hope the others made it eventually!).
Bari