the best hostel in the world?

Naples Travel Blog

My first few days in Naples I stayed at a hostel named "Hostel of the Sun" (HOTS).  Lonely Planet had listed this hostel as their pick for the city.  The Hostelworld website lists it in the top 10 hostels in the world, and has at least once awarded it number 1 in the world - based on ratings/reviews from people who have stayed there.

So it had a lot to live up to... and it really did.  I'm not sure I'm authoritative enough to say it's the best in the world, but it's certainly one of the best I've stayed at (and I've stayed at quite a few now).  The size of the rooms & the beds were fairly average, the bathrooms were individual ones, which is always nice (no need to try to get dressed whilst still in the shower), the kitchen was quite nice too.

But the thing that really set it apart was the staff and the atmosphere - as soon as I walked in, they were so friendly & welcoming & made me put my bags down and get settled in the room before worrying about check-in & passports & whatever.  Carla highlighted all the things I needed to see on a map & explained all the best ways to get to Pompei & Capri & Amalfi etc.  The next day as someone was already using the washing machine in the morning, she told me just to leave my laundry & I came home to find it all hanging up drying!  They managed to remember everyone's name & say "Ciao Erin!" every time you walked through the door.

There was a nice lounge area crammed with cushy seats & beanbags, which a large TV & a big DVD collection - so everyone staying there just hung out together & was very friendly.  On Thursday night the HOTS team cooked (free) pasta for everyone & then we all sat around drinking wine & playing games all night.  On Friday basically the whole hostel went out to Di Matteo for pizza (Naples is after all where pizza was invented) - and it was really really good!

It was really quite sad to leave.  So if you've ever in Napoli... Hostel of the Sun!
photo by: Joost1976